hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Today I bought and tested Mobil premium in the Detroit area. Although Michigan's purity standards would say otherwise, it was at least 5% ethanol. Oops.

Most metropolitan areas put alcohol in the fuel to replace the MTBE that was outlawed a few years back. Mostly 5 or 10 %. There is normally a sign on the pump saying the fuel is "x" percent ethanol.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

curious

have others noticed getting less fuel mileage as compared to a year ago? i suspect they are cutting fuel with ethanol and not mentioning it.
my mileage has dropped of a significant amount.
curiously 40-50 miles per tank.

Bob, thanks the link.

Just as in other energy panaceas, the truth is often buried in the hype.

Solar electric for instance. I remember about 20 years ago, when the last government driven push was in full swing, solar panel output was a lot lower than it is today, and the total output of a panel over its estimated life was only about 80% of the electricity used to smelt the aluminum, silicon, and glass needed to make the panel in the first place!!!

I wonder if todays PV panel is up to at least recovering what it took to produce??

TANSTAAFL.

Science isnt driving this effort...Farming lobby is well funded. If you could run an engine on cheese the dairy lobby would be in on it as well.

Makes the $1,000 toilet seat pale in comparison.

Science isnt driving this effort...Farming lobby is well funded. If you could run an engine on cheese the dairy lobby would be in on it as well.

:D:D:D

I know were not to discuss politics, feminism, or religion but gawd that is the kind of political cynicism I love in election years.

Well put!!!! And sadly true.:eek:

BOT, to a degree, it does seem that ethanol is a bit of a joke depending on who you listen to. 10% in gasohol doesn't touch our foreign dependence but the recent push to increase ethanol production has raised corn prices and threatens food availability for the worlds poor! And down here in the corn belt I have farmer friends who are still paid NOT to grow corn!

I don't have the answer so I'll just shut up on that now.:confused:

That said, when I get around to putting a mogas compatible engine in the -8, what's the most power out there in a 4 banger?? Can you get any of the 390 or 400 ci experimental lyclons to run mogas?? I'm guessing 100ll will be pushing 5/gal at least when I finish in 2015 so a mogas burner is likely. How much power can I get?

$5/gallon 100LL in 2015?

According to Airnav the USA average is $4.60 a gallon. I sure don't want any more increases but does anyone expect $2.00/gallon anytime soon?