RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Asked over in the maintenance forum, but no response...

When replacing the fuel pump, what sealant(s) are used on a) the gasket and b) the bolts?

I couldn't find any reference anywhere, not an installation instruction from Lycoming, but I might be missing something...

TIA!

I used fuel lube on my original installation 15 years ago and used it again when I replaced the pump earlier this year.

No problems with that approach.

Asked over in the maintenance forum, but no response...

When replacing the fuel pump, what sealant(s) are used on a) the gasket and b) the bolts?

I couldn't find any reference anywhere, not an installation instruction from Lycoming, but I might be missing something...

TIA!

I would use Permatex #3 (aviation). Non hardening, impervious oil and fuel. Thin film. It will seal bolts too that penetrate into a crankcase, but it is a wet torque. I have never had anything leak using it. Air, fuel, oil, crankcases, chevy head bolts.

Having said this, millions of engines have been built with no sealant on the gaskets, it is not technically required. Bolts threaded into an open crankcase/ water jackets etc, need something.

Clean up with any kind of alcohol.

Last edited:
I used Permatex #2 with good success. I did not seal the threads of the fuel pump bolts. I had no leakage there in 140 hours and when I replaced the fuel pump at 100 hours the bolts cam out dry.

Larry