RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am getting close to hanging the engine and have been doing some reading. I also pulled out the mount (Lords) to see how things fit and are arranged. When I put the mount up to the lower end I realized that there is some gasket that hangs out from the Oil sump. The mount will pull up into place but this curls the part of the gasket sticking down some.

Would letting it curl down be better than taking a razor and cutting this off? I know this must seem like a dumb question but the gasket seems to have some type of plasticy coating, my thought is if I cut this and there is some inner material that would absorb fuel and oil, this might cause the gasket to fail. Of course curled over it might do the same overtime. I am not sure why the gasket does not fit perfectly the contour of the sump but it doesn't.

The engine is a TMX IO-360 with a vertical induction, I think the sump is the same as on an O-360. Hopefully one of you find builder has run into this before and can provide som advice.

Here is a picture.

jq154k.jpg

Gasket outside the mating surfaces has no function. It really doesn't matter if you trim it or not so do as you prefer. If it actually interferes, remove it.

Take it off

As mentioned above its not used and useless. I'd take it off. There is enough safety wire and short zip tie tails to make you loose a pint every now and then. I'd hate to reach in and get a paper cut from that too. :D

A word of caution!

Make sure you use a VERY sharp razor or knife.
A less than sharp blade can actually "tear" the gasket from between the surfaces.