rjcthree

Well Known Member
As I build, I have come across yet another contradiction between tech literature sources, one I forgot to ask about earlier.

Topic is gasket adhesive. Lycoming docs say NOTHING about using any type of gasket adhesive (think for the case halves to sump joint). Nothing I could find i the forums here either - admittadly, it was a 5 minute search.

The Mattituck/Skyward video cites a gasket adhesive and shows it being used. They don't say what it is.

ANy ideas if, and what, it is or should be? Barring any contrary info, I'm going to continue on without, have super-clean surfaces, and torque correctly.

Rick - joining case halves today. Sweet!

I rub gaskets with Titeseal, never have had one leak. It never dries so when things need to come apart, no scraping required on the gasket. NEVER, EVER, EVER PUT ONE ON DRY!!! :)

Say, Rick........

....do you have the silk thread that's recommended between the case halves? The thread squeezes so thin that it's almost immeasurable and prevents leaks.

Regards,

Gasket Dressing

Do a little research on this product. It may be what you need.

Permatex Hylomar HPF Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant.

This is what I will do

I changed my Superior sump exactly as the instructions specified - no gasket sealant. Then my sump leaked at the spot where the case halves joined. I called Superior and was told by them that it is good practice to put some sealant on the gasket especially in that area as it is prone to leak there. I now have another replacement gasket and I will either use some RTV silicone or, more likely, permatex gasket sealer from my local auto parts store.

Titeseal

I am with Bob. I have not found anything better than Titeseal. The reason is I have had no reason to search for anything better. It works.

Randy Hooper

Titeseal works good. I use that or some of the spray on gasket adheasive, I forget the p/n but it's the red, spray on stuff. DON'T USE SILICONE on ANYTHING that will be exposed to oil or fuel. The stuff simply doesn't hold up. Proseal would work better than RTV!