647jc

Well Known Member
What?s the general consensus regarding a drainable gascolator on RVs? Vans sells one with or without the ?quick drain bottom? and I know some people don?t think a drain is necessary on the gascolator since the wing tank drains are typically the lowest point on an RV. If you have installed a drain, how do you operate it during the pre-flight?

What would be the purpose of having one you could not drain? :confused:

I had one in my 6 and a hole in the cowl bottom to drain it. Nothing complicated. You can see the drain extention on the gascolator right near the bottom of the cowl.
exhaustmount.JPG

In my 8 I do not have a gascolator. :eek:

Best

I installed the gascolator primarily because I wanted to build my fuel system as close to Van's design as possible, figuring that it had a proven track record, and so many Experimental accidents are eventually pinned on "creative" fuel systems. I'm conservative, what can I say?

But...after flying a Grumman AA1 for 20+ years that didn't have one, and now having seen that it is hard to get anything out of the gascolator on my -8 without turning on the boost pump, I would be inclined to skip it the next time around. I am considering taking off my extension tube to eliminate a potential failure, and simply removing the gascolator bowl once or twice a year instead.

Those are just my thoughts - not saying they are are right for everybody!

Paul

I think it does create another place for contaminants to be trapped and noticed during draining. My 8 will have one and it will be part of the preflight.

I know there are two sides to everything but I feel more comforatable knowing I've given myself the best chance to catch a problem on the ground.

You may go a while without ever noticing anything but the one time you do it's worth it. Our cherokee was filled with contaminated fuel at one point and it was suprising how much trash came from the gascolator. The sumps in the tank won't catch everything, especially if there is a significant amount of trash.

Just my two cents. Again, It's and experimental, you can make whatever decision you like.