WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

On my condition inspection I noticed that my gascolator did not have a wire mesh screen inside it. I cannot see a part number on it without removing it so I am unsure if it requires one or not. I've attached a photo of it to see if anyone knows if this particular one requires a screen. I've been told that some do and some don't.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Charles

image1.jpg

Just checking

Charles,
The screen is shaped like a washer and stays in the top piece when you pull the bowl. It's a very fine mesh and paper thin.

My thoughts are that maybe you were expecting to see a larger cylindrical shaped screen based on the shape of the bowl.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks, yes I was expecting to see a screen in the bowl so perhaps that was the case. I'll check it out and give it a better look. Do you happen to know the model type of this one? Is it a standard gascolator used on most RVs?

Thanks!

Charles

Charles,
The screen is shaped like a washer and stays in the top piece when you pull the bowl. It's a very fine mesh and paper thin.

My thoughts are that maybe you were expecting to see a larger cylindrical shaped screen based on the shape of the bowl.

Mark

gas 5

Charles...

your picture is vans part number gas 5 which is what I have in my rv6. I would think it would be fairly common since it was the only option until inline filters became popular. I think vans sell the screen and seal as replacement parts but I have 10 years and 450 hours with no need for parts yet.

dick decramer

One other thing the four screws holding it all together usually have lockwire to stop them coming undone.

Removing bowl...

I removed the screws and retaining ring and thought the bowl would just drop out. Does it twist out? Do I just have to pull hard? I don't want to damage it. Checking the screen during my condition inspection. Can you clean the screen or do you have to replace?

Thanks,
Michael

I removed the screws and retaining ring and thought the bowl would just drop out. Does it twist out? Do I just have to pull hard? I don't want to damage it. Checking the screen during my condition inspection. Can you clean the screen or do you have to replace?

Thanks,
Michael

It is a closed system with suction that will resist removal. Either remove the drain from the bottom or hold the drain open while you pull down on the cup.