Mr Charles

Well Known Member
After buying a previously built (1992) RV-4 three years ago, I experienced a rough running engine and had to make a deadstick landing, fortunately uneventful...the original gascolator, as mounted, places the drain slightly off center of the lowest point...over the years, remaining sediment/water corroded through the lowest point on bowl. The original bowl attaches with a wire bail, and the entire unit is mounted to a pre-made bracket, attached to a horizontal tube at lowest point between oil sump and firewall, on C/L.
I would appreciate any feedback on "the best" gascolator for my application, and alternative mounting suggestions...space is limited. I/O 360 with inverted oil, Vetterman exhaust.
Thanks
Mr Charles

In the stick compartment

My -4 also had an old gascolator mounted on the firewall, I removed it and bought an Andair unit, mounted it on the wall of the stick compartment with a hole out the bottom of the fuse for the drain, sealed with a rubber grommet. Works fine. There is a concern about more fuel fittings inside the cockpit, so if you do this work carefully and check for leaks.

Works for me, ymmv

Annual

In my annual checklist, I pull the bowl off the gascolator and check everything (corrosion, filter, seals, etc.). It seems like a pretty critical piece to me, and barring some change that accelerates corrosion such that an annual doesn't catch it, any problems should be perceived and corrected at that point. If you're corroding a gascolator every annual, there may be other things to look at.

I have a standard Van's gascolator. No corrosion last check, but pulled a small goober of gunk out of it which made me consider the rest of the fuel system. In the end, I cleaned it up and reinstalled and will watch.

Gascolator woes

I had an AI do my condition inspections, and he supposedly had been pulling the gascolator...appears he never pulled it once! I now use someone else, and assist!!!
I have to replace the unit, and someone mentioned that there was a unit that had a push n twist bowl, or some easy release bowl that was way better than the wire bail used on mine, but would swap right out and could use same mounting arrangement...guess I'm asking if anyone can point me to which one that is...
Apprciate the feedback...
Mr Charles