RV7Guy

Well Known Member
Put the canopy on, set up the strut system and everything worked great after lots of adjustments to the rear hold downs.

This morning I went out and opened the canopy and after getting it open all the way it started coming down and now will not hold. It is over 90 degrees in my hangar so I don't know if that has any affect on things.

In the event the struts are bad, anyone have an aftermarket source and part number.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Check with Van's. They may graciously replace them under warranty. I had two leakers and the replacements are fine.

Roberta

Drop of 3-in-one oil

I think there's a fair amount of variation in the life of these struts. For whatever reason, I lucked out and mine are still strong. I received mine from Van's in May or June of 2002.

That said -- I installed my struts contrary to popular opinion. People say it's better to orient them so that the cylinder is on top and the strut comes out the bottom...that way the seal apparently gets naturally lubricated, gravity and all. But I have mine so the cylinder attaches at the canopy deck, and the shaft attaches at the canopy. People have said that's "not smart," but oh well. I don't want grimy struts exposed where passengers might accidentally grab.

Anyway, I do lube the struts with a drop of 3-in-one oil every couple of months and haven't had a problem throughout a zillion open/close cycles and lots of moderate temperature swings. To lubricate 'em I open the canopy, put a drop of oil at the base of each shaft where it goes into the cylinder, and then actuate the canopy a few times. You can hear and feel it smooth right out, and theoretically the O-rings/seals are happy.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (562 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

This thing comes up every once in a while. One thing I noticed, having installed them both ways- when they are mounted the recommended way (cylinders up) they pause and slow down for the last 1/2 inch or so of opening, but when mounted cylinders down, they slam right open all the way. I didn't like the way the canopy "slammed" open so I reversed them after a short time and mounted them per the plans.

BTW I also had one die very early, while still fitting the canopy, and Vans replaced it free of charge. This was after I looked everywhere for a local source and came up nuts.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee WI
103 hours til OSH

I've used gas cylinders on copier lids for the last 20 years and the will last 10 times longer with the shaft down.

Bob MO

There must be some faulty new ones out there.

I had one that never made the first cycle.

Van's sent me a replacement.

If you really don't want to buy from van's, the Truck Speciality companies or camper suppliers.

There are used on the windows and hatches.

cary r