dwilson

Well Known Member
After reading all the posts about extended range tanks it seems to me that the best solution for my situation is something like the TurtlePack fuel bladder.

You can take it out when you don't need it, you get more capacity than the HW wing tanks for about 1/2 the price. You and easily add a second cell if you need even more range?

So, let's say I buy one. I want a way to add it to the back seat of my RV-10 with minimal fuss.

Do any of you know of a quick disconnect for fuel lines like we have for O2 or hydraulic lines on a tractor? Something that won't drip or leak when the line is broken?

I would love to mount the receiver end in the tunnel and be able to just plop the cell in the seat, strap it down and plug the fuel line in and go.

I would put a facet pump in the tunnel to pump out of the fuel cell into the empty wing tank.

Sound reasonable?

EXPENSIVE or EFFECTIVE?

The stock Vans fuel selector can accomodate an auxilliary tank.
The fuel line from the auxilliary tank location to the fuel selector valve can be built into the fuselage. Aluminum tubing and adel clamps would be very light and secure. A small manifold block mounted to the fuse, with a '-6 male hose to pipe' fitting and cap would be sturdy, vibration & damage resistant. It weighs nothing ( a few grams).
The Auxilliary fuel tank or bladder would be installed, then it's flex hose connected to the tube end (remove the plug from the hose, remove the cap from the fuselage fitting) That only takes a few seconds. Then fill tank. Inspect for leaks. This is all standard aircraft hardware, and would be servicable anywhere you fly.

Interested in this also. I was once looking (still am, I guess) at an extended rage tank for passenger seat in RV-6 (or any side-by-side). I was going to copy the one used by one of the around-the-world flyers, "Chasing the Morning Sun", only maybe not quite as large. Just wanted enough range to make my California trips easier.

new%20cockpit.jpg

The passenger seat fuel would be used first, either directly, using the 4 way Van's valve, or could be used to top off fuel in wing tanks as it is used. The only other extended range tanks I found that seemed reasonable were the Farn-Reed tanks, no longer made.

quick couplers

The quick couplers are no issue. Use dual-sealing instrumentation couplers. Not cheap, but lightweight and compact. Dont use standard flush face hyd. couplers. They do have a nasty habit of a little dips, and you certainly dont want exposed fuel in the cabin.
Tom

These quick connectors are very common in the automotive world. They do require a special tool to disconnect, but that is a good thing for us, will prevent accidental disconnects.

Check with NAPA or any of the large automotive suppliers.

Also, here is an example of what is used for fuel in outboard boat engines. I have no idea of the fuel flow capacity------would defiantly check that out.

Last edited:
These quick connectors are very common in the automotive world. They do require a special tool to disconnect, but that is a good thing for us, will prevent accidental disconnects.

Check with NAPA or any of the large automotive suppliers.

Also, here is an example of what is used for fuel in outboard boat engines. I have no idea of the fuel flow capacity------would defiantly check that out.

I've seen these brass variety used on outboards as big as 225hp, that would be similar to our fuel flows. Definitely want to run a full-flow test though.

quick disconnect

Summit Racing-summitracing.com- has a couple different models for around $35. Pitts S2 also uses a quick disconnect for front seat tank.