NovaBandit

Well Known Member
Congrats to Garmin for implementing another major (free) enhancement to the G3X systems!

The ESP system was something I was very interested in back when they announced it in the Cessna TTx. I really like the idea of an "electronic CFI" watching out for the basics, as described in Dave Hirschman's AOPA article from the original ESP announcement:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2011/January/1/Avionics-Garmins-ESP

I can see this feature adding a nice margin of added safety for some of the most common (and deadly) mishaps, like stall/spin in the pattern.

outstanding, i can't wait to see how this performs especially compared to the system cirrus is marketing in their new planes which do a similar function

will this lead to some enhancements for an "unconcious" pilot scenario and fly to a safe/lower altitude if pilot is non responsive?

Just curious if Garmin plans to add that, i know they watch these posts!

Last edited:
well done

Well done Team X....
I'm thankful Garmin brought this to the G3X. The design philosophy is perfect. Let the pilot know and subtlety help but don't insist and cut the pilot out of the loop, aka Boeing 777 and 787 versus Airbus where the flight controls get the final vote (unless in Direct Law).

How easy is this to turn on and off ('gunna go fly acro)? Can you select a default condition On or OFF at power-up?

Well done Team X....
I'm thankful Garmin brought this to the G3X. The design philosophy is perfect. Let the pilot know and subtlety help but don't insist and cut the pilot out of the loop, aka Boeing 777 and 787 versus Airbus where the flight controls get the final vote (unless in Direct Law).

How easy is this to turn on and off ('gunna go fly acro)? Can you select a default condition On or OFF at power-up?

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. We hope the technology benefits customers and enhances safety.

First, yes you can can configure ESP-X to either be enabled or disabled automatically on power up. ESP-X configuration is documented in the new Rev. R G3X Installation Manual for both G3X and G3X Touch systems.

There are two ways you can quickly enable/disable ESP-X in flight. The first is through a menu command (G3X) or on the autopilot touch screen for G3X Touch. The second method is with a switch. There is a new configurable input discrete that is provided for ESP Inhibit.

We will have more information about ESP-X when we get our posting up.

Thanks,
Steve

I just found this interesting tidbit in the Rev R install manual:

Values must be entered for VG (best glide speed) and Sink Rate (at VG) to enable the
Glide Range Ring and Best Airport Indication functions. The valid range for VG is
1-998 knots and the valid range for Sink Rate is 50 ft/min or greater. See the G3X
Touch Pilot?s Guide (190-01754-00) for details of the Glide Range Ring function and
Best Airport Indication functions.

Really looking forward to see the official announcement here on VAF, because I know a glide range ring is something that's been asked for for a while now, and best airport sounds pretty great too!

Makes you wonder

what kind of enhancements and collaboration might be in the works... Sounds like Garmin is getting toes into waters where Austin has already excelled, but -

-- we need Xavion to run on some glass besides an iPad or a no-longer-available Vertical Power display! Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

Congrats to Garmin for implementing another major (free) enhancement to the G3X systems!

The ESP system was something I was very interested in back when they announced it in the Cessna TTx. I really like the idea of an "electronic CFI" watching out for the basics, as described in Dave Hirschman's AOPA article from the original ESP announcement:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2011/January/1/Avionics-Garmins-ESP

I can see this feature adding a nice margin of added safety for some of the most common (and deadly) mishaps, like stall/spin in the pattern.

Ed,

Thank you for the AOPA web link. I will check that out.

Does this system have audio warning as well?

As I go through the process of deciding how to go about upgrading my current panel systems, Garmin ups the ante again.

Great job raising the bar Team X. All that at no extra cost.

It will be interesting to see the announcements that come before Sun N Fun and Air Venture.

Charlie
RV-8

Thanks

All I can say is Thanks guys. The choice to go G3X touch was a long and hard one, but it looks to be a good one down the road. Maybe you will keep an old man flying a little longer..
Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

I am stoked. My new S-LSA RV-12 is being put on the line for instruction, transition training and rental. See RV-12 forum. I am so glad that I opted for the G3X touch unit. This should be a great feature for low time pilots. Think base to final stall and other situations. Thank you Garmin!

Let's see - just connect it to auto throttle, flaps, maybe an ultrasonic distance sensor for runway height, and we have a self landing plane. Not too far off. Like a UAV with a passenger, uuuurrr, ahhhhh, . . . safety pilot.

When will we see some experimenter do this -? Soon?

As long as I can have it turned off without seeing any annoying warning message it's fine. Any permanent or need to acknowledge warning for it beeing off and I will stay away from the product.

Similar feature: If I turn off distance control on my car I get an irritating warning symbol in front of me that cannot even be turned off, I will never buy the same car model again!

control,

The ESP-X configuration is very flexible and you can even choose not to configure ESP-X if you don't ever plan to use it. You have the ability to select the default state of ESP-X on power up (default on or default off). And you can use a discrete input on the G3X system for a ESP-X on/off switch for convenience instead of using the AFCS touch control panel.

Check out Section 29.4.9 in the latest revision of our installation manual for all the setup details.

Also, additional features are highlighted is in this Garmin G3X Touch v3.50 and G3X v10.00 Software Release thread.

Thanks,
Brian