ccarter

Well Known Member
I received a flyer in the mail from Garmin yesterday notifying of a free software update for the XM weather users. Apparently there is a software bug in the Garmin OS (operating system) for selected units (such as 396/496) which can prevent the unit from receiving weather data. The patch apparently is applied when you update the unit software using the updater provided free of charge from Garmin. The link is located here -> http://www.garmin.com/xm. Follow the links.

I would suspect you will need to have your XM antenna plugged into the unit when doing this update.

This problem sounds strangely like the random complaints we've all had with the xm weather intermittently dropping out on occasion. It's rarely happened to me but once or twice and then for only a minute or two. Others have had a more serious manifestation. As a software designer by vocation I suspect this has been a difficult bug for them to catch in the act and thus provide a fix. Hopefully, now that they've admitted it this will solve the problem.

I am going to apply the fix next time I bring the unit back from the hanger. For those of you that may have had a more pronounced problem with this it would be nice to hear if the update fixes it for you.

I would suspect you will need to have your XM antenna plugged into the unit when doing this update.

Not really possible on the 396/496 units, since the XM receiver plugs into the same USB port that you use for updating.

I believe the unit will update the XM receiver later. After I updated mine and flew the next time my 496 reset after being airborne about 5 minutes. I suspect that it updated the XM antenna and had to reboot. Anyone else see this?

We did this last night for both our 396 and 696. Brought them inside, and Louise did the 396 while I did the 696. Jamie is correct - you do not need the XM attached - very painless software update for the 696, and I didn't hear any invectives from Louise's study as she did the 396. Do it - free software!

Paul

Recieved the same flyer yesterday.

Updated from vers 4.00 to 4.40 on the 496 and from vers 2.0 to 2.3 on the GXM30A antenna. I know it has been awhile but I have been a little busy. It definitely boots up qicker now. I really like the wx!

sounds like a job.......

for SNF. that should be a 2 step process. one for the software and one for the database. thanks for the reminder.

XM Update Procrastination

I got the card about the XM weather update in the mail about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't been to the airport much so I put it off (wife says I have a Masters in Procrastination...she's probably right).

Thursday I had my flight review with my instructor. When the music of James Taylor came into the headphones, I sheepishly said, "Guess I need to turn that down." In fact, and perhaps to impress the instructor, I powered down the 396 for the entire flight portion of the review.

Next day, Friday, was clear VFR all the way (265 nm) to Pensacola where a little Boston Terrier named "Trooper" was waiting for me to take him to his new home. (Pilots 'n Paws flight!) YES!!! :D

Powered up the trusty 396 as part of the pre-takeoff checklist and noticed neither XM weather or radio (Rick and Bubba) were received on the 396. What gives? After much fiddlin' both on the ground and then in the air, I remembered that green card from Sirius XM that was in my mail stack. Man, the XM was working yesterday... :mad:

Friday night, I found the Garmin PC interface cord for my 396 with plans to perform the update. ;) [UPDATE and CORRECTION: Well, just to update and correct an error. Today, April 3, I updated my 396, or at least it appears I did as I haven't taken it to the airport yet to see how it works. The error that I didn't want to leave with everyone is that the PC interface cord for the 396 does NOT have a 9-pin serial connector. That was an old cord for another Garmin GPS I used to use. The correct cord for the 396 has the large USB plug on one end and the small trapezoidal plug on the other. My bad. I doubt anyone read this post, but in case you did, now you know to IGNORE the comments about the 9-pin serial connector below. Yes, I bought a cord I didn't need. Maybe I can use it someday. Good thing is I'm getting my old Dell PC cleaned up for use out in the workshop/office. :) ]

Hmmm? New Windows 7 PC with all the bells and whistles which we bought last year...doesn't seem to have that little 9-pin serial interface port that our old computer had. Rats! :confused:

This morning I took the old computer which was suspected to have a virus or some molasses software inside it to the computer repair store. While I was there I explained my GPS problem and they sold me a little cable that has a 9-pin connector on one end and a USB connector on the other. Sweet! (Made in China...what's a fella to do?)

Tonight, hopefully the 396 will be updated using our new computer. We'll see how long we can keep this old 2007 technology running! :D

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Last edited: