Rupester

Well Known Member
I'm installing my Garmin stack in the stock Vans instrum panel. The GTX-327 rack has a bottom edge that sticks out 1/8" further than the other three sides. (It offers sortuv a "lip" on the bottom.) Seems like I have two choices for mounting in the panel: a) have the lip protrude out the finish face of the panel 1/16", thereby making the other three sides flush with the fwd side (subpanel side) of the panel, or b) have the lip protrude the full 1/8", thus making the other three sides flush with the finish face of the panel. There's nothing that addresses this in the Garmin installation booklet. Any advice from those that have "been there, done that" ??

Before you worry about the txponder "pout'y lip"...

...place all of your radio stack stuff in their respective trays and stack them one on top of the other just the way they would be in the panel. Pay attention to the unit-to-unit spacing.

Now decide if you want the radio stack flush or protruding from the panel. That should help you in deciding the final position of the txponder tray.

Agreed... with the previous post.

Slide the radios in each tray and lock them into place. Line up the faceplates of each radio so they are all even and then using wide masking tape to tape all the trays together. Its best to put a length around the forward and rear part of the trays just to ensure nothing moves. Then place the stack in your panel and mark how far out you want the faceplates sticking out. Once that is done you can remove the radios and you will have the position for each tray. They will all be slightly offset from each other. Thats perfectly normal.