Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
Maybe somebody here can help me. I feel like the reincarnated cave-man pilot.....

I've just completed an instrument panel upgrade to a dual screen Garmin 3X system. I have several LRUs in addition to the 2 screens and they all need to be updated - a free one comes with the purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I had a G496 in my panel before (which I still own) and when I log in to the fly.garmin website with my password, the 496 is all they want to recognize. I registered my new equipment (twice), and gotten the email confirmation that they received it, but it still won't recognize my new equipment. I've installed the Garmin plugin for the updates, but the problem is, I don't think it likes my not having a Cessna or Beechcraft. I've entered my aircraft manufacturer (me), and model (RV8), and told it where and when I bought the equipment, but there is no place on the website to download updates, unless I want to update my G496 - which I don't.

It wasn't easy in the past to get to the right place to update my 496, but this time, after 2 hours of fooling with it, I'm about ready to give up. It's amazing to me that a company that can produce such seemingly amazing user-friendly avionics can be so backwards when it comes to online user interface programming. I may have to actually break down and call somebody at Garmin for help - which will probably take much longer just to get to a human that can talk to me.........

frustrated in Cincinnati........

I've actually had great luck over the phone with a real person as well as in person since I work up the road from Garmin. Let them walk you through it, I spent forever trying to download the new software, for whatever reason the update wouldn't download on my 8 GB card and the help team gave me a 4 GB card that downloaded it first try. Frustrated and been there, you'll figure it out.

Call them. You'll be shocked how easy it is to get them on the phone and how helpful they will happily be.

Maybe somebody here can help me. I feel like the reincarnated cave-man pilot.....

I've just completed an instrument panel upgrade to a dual screen Garmin 3X system. I have several LRUs in addition to the 2 screens and they all need to be updated - a free one comes with the purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I had a G496 in my panel before (which I still own) and when I log in to the fly.garmin website with my password, the 496 is all they want to recognize. I registered my new equipment (twice), and gotten the email confirmation that they received it, but it still won't recognize my new equipment. I've installed the Garmin plugin for the updates, but the problem is, I don't think it likes my not having a Cessna or Beechcraft. I've entered my aircraft manufacturer (me), and model (RV8), and told it where and when I bought the equipment, but there is no place on the website to download updates, unless I want to update my G496 - which I don't.

It wasn't easy in the past to get to the right place to update my 496, but this time, after 2 hours of fooling with it, I'm about ready to give up. It's amazing to me that a company that can produce such seemingly amazing user-friendly avionics can be so backwards when it comes to online user interface programming. I may have to actually break down and call somebody at Garmin for help - which will probably take much longer just to get to a human that can talk to me.........

frustrated in Cincinnati........

Hello Scott,

Sorry to hear you are having troubles receiving database updates from FlyGarmin.

I am at SNF, but I went online this morning to review your account and found that you have a 496, but no aircraft added with a G3X system.

I added your RV-8, but will need your G3X System ID (Menu, Menu, System Setup, look at bottom of screen) before I can add the G3X system so you can download your databases.

You can also add the G3X system yourself. Just log in, select your aircraft, then select "Add a new aircraft device". G3X will be one of the choices in the drop down list.

Please call or email using the contact information below and we will get you going in no time! I think you will enjoy using FlyGarmin when everything is setup for your aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Never had an issue getting someone from Garmin on the phone (aviation products). The FlyGarmin website is a joy to use. It keeps all your database info for your portables and panel mounted systems both experimental and certified all in one place.

I think where it all went wrong is the registration process does not add your devices to the FlyGarmin website. To do that you must click "Add new aircraft device" and enter your system ID for the new G3X system.

http://fly.garmin.com

Thank you Steve (Garmin support). I logged on and found that you added my RV8. For some reason when I tried to enter my aircraft, it wouldn't accept RV8. I must have been in the wrong place. I'll retrieve the system number from the unit when I get to the airport and give it a try. I registered the equipment with Garmin a couple times using their serial numbers and thought that may have been needed for updating...... guess not. I'll call you if I have any problems.