Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Boy do I feel dumb(er than usual . . . ). Got my new GTX-327 transponder. On the bottom of the unit there is a small tab sticking out of the unit - how do you get this tab recessed for the install? Looks like it can rotate 90 degrees but then you have the other tab sticking out so back to square one.

I have the tray installed in the panel and figured I could just slide it in, wire it up and go.

Tried a small phillips head screwdriver (trough the front access hole) but didn't get any rotation of the tab . . .

Thanks in advance!

Rick
RV-4 3541

It takes a very small hex wrench. I don't know the size, but I got one from Stark when I bought my avionics. You set it up so the back tab is up, slide it into the tray as far as it will go, and then rotate the wrench so that the front tab is up and the back one is down. That locks it into the tray.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Use the correct size Allen wrench--------the tab both rotates to the side, and moves front to back as the Allen screw is turned.

When you tighten the screw, the tab rotates down, and engages the locking slot in the tray, then continues to draw things up snug.

When you loosen the screw, it backs off to slack, then rotates out of the way.

Hope this helps.

GTX-327

An allen wrench is needed. Set the tab so it goes in as far as possible. Gently push the unit in until it hits the tab. Use the correct size allen wrench to turn the tab so that it rotates a quarter turn and engages the next slot. Keep turning the allen wrench and it will draw the unit in and engage the electrical contacts in the case. To remove, reverse the process.

Thanks!

Back in action! I tried the 3/32" hex wrench and it turned like it's supposed to. I didn't get any directions, tools or otherwise so I was a little in the dark. This may be because I bought my transponder in "pieces" - tray and wiring harness first, then the head unit later. I figured for $1,500 you'd at least get an install manual!

I thought it needed a very small phillips head screwdriver so glad I didn't force it/strip the hex receptacle.

Thanks Guys!

send me you email address. I have something for you. Click my userID and you can send it via private email.

Different 327 question.................

Mine is in and works fine. It is wired thru an avionics master switch so it should come on with said switch with the radios and audio panel.

For some reason I have to power it up seperately every time.

I have the manual and it does not tell you how to program around this. I know I can call Garmin but this group is way less hassle..............

Anyone know the programming trick?

I seem to recall seeing a thread on this a while back, try searching for it.

Be sure to not limit the search to recent postings.]

I can try to find it tomorrow, if you are unsuccessful, but it is late now, and I need my beauty sleep;)

I seem to recall seeing a thread on this a while back, try searching for it.

Be sure to not limit the search to recent postings.]

I can try to find it tomorrow, if you are unsuccessful, but it is late now, and I need my beauty sleep;)

Here's the thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=12270

Looks like you need to have your master wired to pin 1 and pin 15. Pin 15 is the normal power input, but pin 1 is the "power on" pin. Anytime power is applied to pin 1, the unit will power up.

--Bill