sjarrell

Well Known Member
Patron
I tried to call Garmin and talked with two people who couldn't help, and left a voicemail message for a third person that I was transferred to. Unfortunately it was late in the day and I haven't had a response.

I'm trying to do the latest software update. I'm using a known good SD card (actually I've tried 3 known good cards) and I'm 100% sure that the Garmin update file is being place in the \Garmin folder on the card. However, when I insert the card neither of my G3X Touch units recognize that a software update is on the card. I've tried inserting it before and after I start the G3X (docs say either should work so I tried both) but absolutely nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just to make sure you downloaded and installed it correctly. Download the file from Garmin, save it in a folder on your computer (not SD card) where you can find it. Then go and click on the file and it will start a process of creating the SD card for you. You need to see the statement that it has been "successfully transferred to your card" and then click finish. I see a lot of people just download the Garmin file directly to the SD card without doing the installation process. Hopefully this helps.

Browser issue

I also had a problem like this a few months ago and it turned out it was the browser I was using to download the file. I was using Chrome (my default browser) and the update kept failing. I re-downloaded the file use Internet Explorer and the update succeeded.

I use Chrome almost exclusivley and update my Touch routinely.

Follow Christer's advice.

Use the installer to actually copy the update to a freshly formated card.

There will actually end up being several files copied not the executable that you download.

Here is what your SD card should have on it for a proper update:

35lsrw3.jpg

These should be in the Garmin folder and the Garmin folder should be in the root of the SD card.

Try the Menu Button

I had the same problem and haven't had this problem before using same PC and browser. One thing I did by accident that worked was to insert the card and then power up the display while holding the menu button like I was going into config mode. It instantly recognized the software and loaded it. I had to do this on both my 460 and my 450.

Andy

Here is what your SD card should have on it for a proper update:

35lsrw3.jpg

These should be in the Garmin folder and the Garmin folder should be in the root of the SD card.

I am downloading and running the update and it says it installed properly, however it's only putting one file (gupdate.gcd) into the \Garmin folder.

At least I know what to look for now so I'll try re-downloading and reinstalling perhaps even from a different computer until I have the right files.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
When I update my G3X (non touch) there is only the one file on the SD card, "gupdate.gcd"...

The Touch typically has many more files. The above screenshot is the current rev. of the Touch.

The Touch and non Touch use different files.

The Touch typically has many more files. The above screenshot is the current rev. of the Touch.

The Touch and non Touch use different files.
Steve puts his dunce cap on and admits he's a dumb***. I was just downloading and running the first update on the page which was for the 37X non-touch and I have the 46X touch.

Thanks everyone for the help, and especially Brantel for the screenshot showing all of the files. As soon as I saw that I knew that I was doing something basically wrong at the beginning of the process and after that it was easy to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks!!!