Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey I think I probably know the answers, but I'm getting ready to do my first Garmin updates and want to confirm a couple of things;

1. My boxes are a couple of years old at this point, can I just download the most recent software rev and skip all the previous ones?
2. For my G5, will it piggyback the update from the G3X or do I need to do it separately with a Micro SD card?
3. I've got a dual screen G3X touch, a GTN650xi, and a G5. I want the full IFR package like in the G-1000's I fly. What's the best way to get databases for all that? I looked at the website and rapidly got confused in the difference between Bundled, One pack and Pilot pack options.

Sincerely, your electronically inept friend,

Terry

1. Software has all the previous versions imbedded. No need to load previous.

2. G5 will be uploaded through G3X. No need for independent micro SD.

3. Depends on where you live. If US based and not flying to Canada or Mexico, G3X - the $149.95 IFR database (covers all GDU screens).
GTN - $499 database bundle OR all that's required for legal IFR is the $299 Navdata. Use the GDU to display all the other options.

Note: G3X and GTN have separate Software and database.
For your setup I recommend 10 SD cards (Garmin recommends Sandisk 8-32gb) and a suitable case (8 card case works great) to keep the loose ones (7) in.
2 for each GDU that reside full-time (except when updating s/w or d/b)
2 for G3X database (can update both at same time with separate cards. Speeds up the process. Can use 1 card if desired.)
2 for G3X software. 1 for the newest and 1 for the previous. (Allows you to reinstall old if there is a problem with the new)
2 for GTN database. (This card stays in unit. Additional card gets new db and is sealed out for old)
2 for GTN software. (Similar to G3X)

When loading s/w into the GDU's, load it into the MFD first, PFD1 last. Be sure and give it plenty of time to update all the LRU's. Compare the system s/w numbers to the list printed with the update before removing power.

1. Software has all the previous versions imbedded. No need to load previous.

2. G5 will be uploaded through G3X. No need for independent micro SD.

3. Depends on where you live. If US based and not flying to Canada or Mexico, G3X - the $149.95 IFR database (covers all GDU screens).
GTN - $499 database bundle OR all that's required for legal IFR is the $299 Navdata. Use the GDU to display all the other options.

Note: G3X and GTN have separate Software and database.
For your setup I recommend 10 SD cards (Garmin recommends Sandisk 8-32gb) and a suitable case (8 card case works great) to keep the loose ones (7) in.
2 for each GDU that reside full-time (except when updating s/w or d/b)
2 for G3X database (can update both at same time with separate cards. Speeds up the process. Can use 1 card if desired.)
2 for G3X software. 1 for the newest and 1 for the previous. (Allows you to reinstall old if there is a problem with the new)
2 for GTN database. (This card stays in unit. Additional card gets new db and is sealed out for old)
2 for GTN software. (Similar to G3X)

When loading s/w into the GDU's, load it into the MFD first, PFD1 last. Be sure and give it plenty of time to update all the LRU's. Compare the system s/w numbers to the list printed with the update before removing power.
As I understand it, GTN650 the database card stays in the unit. (terrain data on the SD card).
GTN650Xi the database SD card does NOT stay in the unit. (terrain data in GTN650Xi).

Good luck