Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Using other com radio (not com/nav)

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

There have been many posts in the past about the A210 and some of its early deficiencies (dual mode function and bright sunlight readability). Supposedly the firmware update corrected the dual mode functions.

But is the A210 really equal to the SL40?

Owners who have experience with both radios please provide your feedback.

Thanks,

The Garmin has got to be better....

I have the 210 in another airplane (backup radio in a C-185 skywagon), and I dont like the way it feels and functions. I have a tough time tuning it quickly under workload because it feels so different from my other radios. The garmin may cost a bit more up front, but I'll take the SL40 anyday and I like many of the SL40 features. I was going to buy a 40 for my RV8 (first flight last week BTW) and then had project creep and ended up with a 430W.

Tim

I have both. The Garmin is comm1 & the A210 comm2. As to why I made the Garmin #1........... it must be,...... because it cost more.. :)

They both work well, and I don't see any advantage between the two in regards to clarity & range. I like the large readout on the A210 more than the Garmin, but it does fade a lot in direct sunlight; while the Garmin is always viewable. I have not tried to adjust for additional brightness.

The software update (included when I purchased mine) for the A210, does what it's suppose to do.

edit: I use both radios with a PMA 8000B audio panel.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (flying)

Last edited:
Used them both

I've used them both in different A/C and really like the SL40 much better. I'm using the SL40 in my panel(installed). I am not using the intercom function for a couple reasons. One is inputs, the other is intercom quality, based on reviews form multiple builder sites. All of the A/C I've rented use separate intercoms. I have the PS 3000II, wired by Stein.
Rick 90432

Last edited:
MGL V-10

I am panel planning and the MGL new radio sound great. If anyone has one please advise. All the excitement for the a210 fizzled quick when people starting using it, the MGL offers some neat features and apparently a very good built in intercom that would be a simple low cost solution for a two seater. Any pireps on that one yet?

I have the Garmin SL 30, and an A210 as a #2 comm. Having seen both side by side, I wished I had bought the SL 40 as a back up. There is no comparison at all. The Garmin package is top shelf, instructions are 1st rate. The Icom is.............well to be nice, a big disappointment. Instructions are one sheet of paper and not very clear. Connectors are ****, KX170B vintage. Connectors on the Garmin, like everything else about it, the best.

I have the Garmin SL 30, and an A210 as a #2 comm. Having seen both side by side, I wished I had bought the SL 40 as a back up. There is no comparison at all. The Garmin package is top shelf, instructions are 1st rate. The Icom is.............well to be nice, a big disappointment. Instructions are one sheet of paper and not very clear. Connectors are ****, KX170B vintage. Connectors on the Garmin, like everything else about it, the best.

I'll play an Icom salesman here.

Yes, the instructions are on one piece of paper. But it's a large foldout piece of paper..... and a nice printing job! As to instructions, I didn't have a problem. Didn't with the prior A-200 either, until I hooked it up to reverse polarity one day. But the instructions warn about that..........at least three times! :) BTW ---- the A210 will slip right into the A200 tray with no modifications........unless you want to add a GPS link for frequency downloads.

The Icom A210 has larger machined tuning knobs than the Garmin. IMO, they look just fine, and are very easy to turn in turbulence. Certainly not any harder than the Garmin while bouncing around. Besides, when you turn the knobs for the readout on the Icom A210, you get the last frequency number which is eliminated on the Garmin. Example: the last 5 in 135.175. Garmin will just show 135.17. I previously mentioned that the A210 readout is large, easy to see, and it scrolls too!

And lastly, the Icom A210 is slightly less than $500 below the cost of the Garmin. That could buy someone a stereo intercom, or a down payment on real leather seats!

L.Adamson ---- RV6A (flying) Garmin SL-40/ Icom A210/ PMA 8000B audio panel/ TruTrak & Trio auto-pilots. Why stick with just ONE brand? :D

Sorry L, not for me. I'm sure it's fine for some folks.

It may work fine, but the quality between the 2 packages is night and day. Yeah, the SL 40 will set you back another $500. You get what you pay for. Not much when I consider what I have into this plane. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have a 2nd Garmin in my stack.

I too have a mix and match set up;
PMA 9000
SL30
A210
Narco tx, a digital one.

While on the quality soapbox, the Narco is right there with the A210, although Narco support was fantastic with questions I had. My call went directly to an older fella who knew his stuff! When I called Icom with questions, I got someone who knew about as much as me.

To each their own. I'll be flying with the A210 in my panel too. Maybe in time it will win me over. My install experience was better with the Garmin tho.