dgrayent

Can anyone compare Garmin SL30 and/or SL40 built-in itercom VOX "break" speed and audio quality with FlightCom 403? Any other comments about either radio when interfaced to GRT EFIS, their quality, ease of use, etc?
(direct email reply is okay)
Thanks,
Don N17QB

Not an expert... but

Pretty sure the SL-40 does *not* have an intercomm. From what others have said, the 30, seems ok, until........ You hear a Garming 340, 347, or any of the PSE intercomms. :)... Course, the SL-30 is only 2 place, and the others are 6 (or maybe even 8 on some).

Alan

I have a GX65 with the same radio (I was told by Garmin). When I bought the airplane, the previous owner had the internal I/C active. I am now installing a Sigtronics because of poor I/C audio quality and squelch sensitivity. I have an RV-4 and I don't have room for a nice audio panel so I just installed the small I/C. Don't know if this helps your decision or not.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Will you use the Sigtronics SPA400? I was favorably impresssed with it compared to a couple other brands/models I used.
Do any other forum members have recommendations for me?

Thanks,

Don Gray
N17QB
Cortland,OH

The SL-40 does have an intercom, but its not that great. The way the mics open is rather poor when compared to a purpose built intercom. Its only a few hundred dollars for a good one, and it really makes a difference to you enjoyment when you have a friend along. IMHO not fitting a purpose built intercom is false economy.

Pete

I've installed a Sigtronics and a PSEngineering. The Sigtronics is much easier to install with more complete directions (and wiring). However I don't like that they use the aeroplane for ground on the headphone circuit. I'd rather see dedecated grounds on all the jacks. The PSEngineering one does that, but they really need to work on giving good install directions and wiring diagrams.

Sl-40

I've got an accomplice who was using the SL-40 intercom in an RV-6A. He was not happy with the performance, and upgraded.

In my 9A, I'm using a Sigtronics SPA-400 and a Vx Aviation AMX-1A Audio Bus (which I designed) to terminate all the audio sources and alarms and match the Comm output impedance.

The SL-40 is a great radio, but the intercom is an afterthought for our noisy environments.

For those who are using the SL30/SL40 comms: The outputs of these units are low impedance. If you search the bowels of the Sigtronics web site, you will see that a series resistor (around 500 ohms or so) is necessary to couple the SL's into the headphone bus.

Vern Little
RV-9A

WOW! You guys are SO great to pass your experience along! This has been my first posting on the site, but be assured it is not my last -- as more quesitons come up about various things. Now, let me see... :)

Don Gray
N17QB ("One -7 Quick Build")
Cortland, OH