Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
I have upgraded our panel with a SL-30 and a GNS-480. Now I have 4 comms I can listen to :p

The GNS-480 has Rx indicators for its comm channels, however I can't seem to find any such indicators for the SL-30. The manual only shows a Tx indicator. It would be quite useful to find out from which radio ( and whether main or stdby) the transmission is coming from.

The SL-30 is a great radio, but can't believe Apollo designers would have missed including the Rx indicator on this unit. Am I missing something?

I've got a 480 and a SL40 but to be honest, I never noticed the Rx indicator on the 480. With regards to your question, the SL40 (or 30) only has the Tx indicator. It's an interesting observation since both the GNS480 & SL30/40 were both Apollo products before they Garmin.

As far as monitoring multiple channels, I'll monitor 3 on occasion but monitoring 4 is only something I played with a few times.

I've got a 480 and a SL40 but to be honest, I never noticed the Rx indicator on the 480. ...

On the 480, the Rx characters are indicated just to the left of the comm frequency once the squelch breaks.

Don't need to monitor 4 frequencies, but it's fun to try. Now I can monitor 121.5 MHz on a continual basis as well as our watch frequency 126.7 MHz.

Last edited:
The SL-40 has an indicator which points to the frequency you are currently listening to in monitor mode. For some reason this feature isn't available on the SL-30.