David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Mandatory Garmin Service Buleitin for SL30, SL40, CNX80, GNS480

Saw this on another list late last week. Thought I'd post since it hasn't shown up here on VAF.

SB0921 - June 22, 2009 - Certain SL30, SL40 and GNS 480 units may generate spurious emissions when transmitting. When they exist with a particular unit, it is unlikely that the pilot will be aware of the condition. Nevertheless, affected units are to be returned to Garmin for calibration that provides a permanent correction for this condition. Affected units are listed in the Products Affected section of this bulletin.

http://www.secure4host.net/upload/files/GarminSB0921.pdf

/\/elson

Last edited:
So I wonder what "spurious emissions" means? Does this mean that it will transmit garbage on a separate frequency from the one selected? Hmm...glad it's annual time..I'll pull it and check it. Thanks for sharing.

Also of note is that this is a "mandatory" service bulletin.

Last edited:
The deadline is June 31 2010. Has Garmin added an extra day to June of next year and not told the rest of us.

I thought only Microsoft had the power to do things like that.

June 31?!?!

Hahaha...good one. They must be using the old Pentium processors with the floating point bug. I know, 31 is an integer but it could have been 30.999999999 then rounded up. ;)

Anyways, here's another one - though more of a serious note. My last credit card statement had a payment due date of 6/28/2009 which falls on a Sunday. Now, I wonder how many folks opened their bill and thought to themselves, "Ok, I'll run down to the bank pay it on the 28th." Only to discover that it's closed and now they're subject to late charges. Man, those CC folks are sneaky!

Jamie - Thanks for pointing out that this is mandatory. I'll update the subject line.

/\/elson

So I wonder what "spurious emissions" means? Does this mean that it will transmit garbage on a separate frequency from the one selected? Hmm...glad it's annual time..I'll pull it and check it. Thanks for sharing.
Correct. The spurious emissions may or may not be in the aviation bands.

TODR

Hmmm...... Maybe THIS is the cause for my RFI problem - every time I transmit, my fuel pressure reading jumps way up.

erich

That's nice of Garmin, issue the SB on June 22, then say that you need to submit by 6/31(whatever date that really is) for warrantee coverage, else you get whacked with the surcharge and for a Garmin trip to the factory, which is usually fairly expensive. I'd think that they get an ear-full at OSH this year over this.

That's nice of Garmin, issue the SB on June 22, then say that you need to submit by 6/31(whatever date that really is) for warrantee coverage, else you get whacked with the surcharge and for a Garmin trip to the factory, which is usually fairly expensive. I'd think that they get an ear-full at OSH this year over this.

The deadline is 6/31/2010. (as noted, whatever 6/31 is...)

Saw this on another list late last week. Thought I'd post since it hasn't shown up here on VAF.

SB0921 - June 22, 2009 - Certain SL30, SL40 and GNS 480 units may generate spurious emissions when transmitting. When they exist with a particular unit, it is unlikely that the pilot will be aware of the condition. Nevertheless, affected units are to be returned to Garmin for calibration that provides a permanent correction for this condition. Affected units are listed in the Products Affected section of this bulletin.

http://www.secure4host.net/upload/files/GarminSB0921.pdf

/\/elson

Thanks for posting the link to this service bulletin. The bulletin did in fact apply to my SL40 unit, so I shipped it out to Garmin today.

Regards,
Tom