Louise Hose

Well Known Member
PAST EXPERIENCE
I wonder how many folks out there are like me? I fly a plane (okay, two planes) with sexy and attractive glass panels with amazing IFR capacities, yet I only utilize a small portion of their capabilities. If I need to fly IFR or even challenging VFR, I have always opted for my RV-6 (“Mikey”) and its legacy Dynon/TruTrak panel. I’m a master of that relatively simple combination. Partly, I have far more hours in the -6 so I know it better. But, mostly, I found the more sophisticated GRT-TruTrak set-up in the Valkyrie (RV-8) and G3X-TruTrak suite in Tsam (RV-3) more difficult to utilize, even for some relatively simple applications. With the legacy TruTrak autopilot, Mikey held altitude and keep me safely under the local Class B airspace while hand flying the heading. But, is there a way to hold altitude without also engaging the heading hold with the Val’s or Tsam’s autopilot set up? If there is, I haven’t found it.

ENTER THE GMC 305
P1030075.JPG

IMG_7012.JPG

The GMC305 is mounted at the top of the radio stack

Playing with the new Garmin GMC 305 Autopilot Controller, I discovered that a single push of the Alt button will hold altitude. I also learned that the wheel on the panel will adjust the rate of climb/descent, which shows on the G3X elevation tape. Easy peasy and totally intuitive. Setting the target altitude and heading was simple and easy to figure out, especially with my previous experience with the G3X and the GRT EFISs. Sorting through the menu buttons on the G3X screen to link the autopilot to the appropriate radio was also easy to figure out. The autopilot head and interface makes a huge difference in the intuitiveness of the EFIS-autopilot interface.

P1030072.JPG

The G28 autopilot servos are installed under the pilot’s seat (roll) and just behind the baggage bulkhead (pitch).

FLYING COUPLED APPROACHES
I had the chance to do my first coupled GPS approach in Mikey last weekend. All I can say is “wow”. We shot a couple of GPS approaches. Paul set-up the first approach while talking me through the button-pushing. Load the desired approach into the Garmin GTN650 (far more intuitive than the cumbersome G-430!). Ensure the EFIS is talking to the intended Nav radio (GPS or VOR). Push the APR button on the autopilot head. Off Mikey flew through a beautifully executed, GPS approach to 250’ agl. Paul set up the missed approach and off we flew into a solid holding pattern. It was pretty breathe-taking! Next, with Paul’s narration, I “flew” a second flawless approach. And, with that little effort, I bet I can now go out and practice approaches without coaching. It was remarkably simple and intuitive, mostly thanks to the new autopilot head.

Last edited:
Do you notice any differences between Tsam' with the GX Pilot and Mikey with the integrated Garmin autopilot?

All the difference, for me

Do you notice any differences between Tsam' with the GX Pilot and Mikey with the integrated Garmin autopilot?

Big difference for me. It is far easier and seemingly more versatile to engage the autopilot for simple straight-and/or-level flight (one button). It is also easier to avoid inadvertent climbs/descents when engaging the autopilot. (If Tsam isn't level when the autopilot engages, she will continue to climb or descend. With the new system, a touch of the LVL button solves that issue.) When it comes to flight plans and approaches, the set up is far more intuitive but the -650 contributes to a more user-friendly environment (at least for someone who doesn't regularly fly with a panel-mounted GPS unit).

GTN 650 / GMC 305

Louise,
I figured you would love the easy flight management capability of the GTN 650.
I installed the GMC 305 in the Doll's panel last weekend. Tomorrow, I will install the four required wires to make it operational. After reading your flight report, I am eager to test fly the direct control of the autopilot the GMC 305 offers.

No plans for a vertical unit in the near future, finding room for a horizontal unit is going to be difficult for me.::(

I installed the GMC 305 in the Doll's panel last weekend. Tomorrow, I will install the four required wires to make it operational. After reading your flight report, I am eager to test fly the direct control of the autopilot the GMC 305 offers.

Where did you find room Danny? Did you finally get rid of the eight-track player?! :p

You'll love the 305 - just like what you were used to in the old days when you worked for a living. I only wish that we had room for one in Tsam!

GMC 305

Paul,
You guessed it. I removed the AICD AM/FM/CD player and installed the GMC 305 in its place. That was a little more challenging then your install, since the hole was 7 1/4" wide and therefore I could not surface mount the GMC 305 to the panel. I cut two angles from .063 that fit up against the side of the 305 allowing drilling and tapping the 6-32 mounting screws and then reached into the existing hole to use the four nut-plates that held the AICD tray in place. I aligned the face of the 305 with the GTX 330 and GTN 650 so all face plates are equal distance from the panel. I painted the angle mounts flat black, and they look like part of the GMC 305. I am happy with the final result.
Here's a picture Louise. I am heading out to 52F to do the wiring. I should have it operational by lunch.

kbu34p.jpg

Last edited:
GMC 305 working

As predicted, I had the GMC 305 finished before lunch. Instead of heading to the Blue Hanger cafe, I took the Doll for a twenty minute check flight. The 305 worked as advertised. I think this is the beginning of a great relationship! I love the direct airspeed climb or descent, and easy entry for a rate altitude change. Being able to turn on the flight director without the autopilot and hand flying the 'Bat Wings" is too cool! It's like hand flying the 727 using only the flight director. That was my favorite way to fly approaches in the old planeasorus!

As predicted, I had the GMC 305 finished before lunch. Instead of heading to the Blue Hanger cafe, I took the Doll for a twenty minute check flight. The 305 worked as advertised. I think this is the beginning of a great relationship! I love the direct airspeed climb or descent, and easy entry for a rate altitude change. Being able to turn on the flight director without the autopilot and hand flying the 'Bat Wings" is too cool! It's like hand flying the 727 using only the flight director. That was my favorite way to fly approaches in the old planeasorus!

I'm with you Danny, I just got my 305 up and running and am most excited about the flight director. The last 20 years were with the "cross hairs", but I think I'll be able to fly formation with the "V bars"!:D

Paul,
You guessed it. I removed the AICD AM/FM/CD player and installed the GMC 305 in its place. That was a little more challenging then your install, since the hole was 7 1/4" wide and therefore I could not surface mount the GMC 305 to the panel. I cut two angles from .063 that fit up against the side of the 305 allowing drilling and tapping the 6-32 mounting screws and then reached into the existing hole to use the four nut-plates that held the AICD tray in place. I aligned the face of the 305 with the GTX 330 and GTN 650 so all face plates are equal distance from the panel. I painted the angle mounts flat black, and they look like part of the GMC 305. I am happy with the final result.
Here's a picture Louise. I am heading out to 52F to do the wiring. I should have it operational by lunch.

kbu34p.jpg

Dear Danny nice set up, do you have photos of the align adaptor you use in the 305

Regards

Angle mounts

I'm sorry I did not take any pictures of the mounting angles I made to install my GMC 305, but maybe I can describe how I made them better.

I had a scrap piece of .063 angle. It was not AN aircraft aluminum, but a piece purchased from a hardware store. The angle was .063 x 1" x 1". The GMC 305 is about 1/2 inch from the side of the aluminum box to the edge of the mount flange. So I cut one side of the .063 angle to 1/2 inch, so when held against the side of the 305, and up against the back side of the 305's face plate, the 1 inch side of the angle extended the face plate aft one inch. I cut the length of be the angles to match the height of the 305's face plate, and filed the ends to match the curved edges of the 305. I marked the 1/2" side with a marker through the mounting holes of the 305, and drilled and taped the holes for the 6/32 mounting screws. I painted the angles flat black, and when mounted to the back of the 305's face plate with the 6/32 mounting screws, they looked like a one inch extension of the face plate aft.

Since I already had a 7 1/4" hole in the panel where I removed the AM/FM/CD, I was able to slip the 305 into the existing hole. I held it the same distance from the panel as the GTX 330es and the GTN 650, and marked the angles vertically at the panel.

Now the tricky part! I eyeballed the extended center of the existing nut-plates making four marks at the panel. Then while holding the GMC 305 in place, I marked the elevation on the mounting angles where the mounting hole had to go from the four marks on the panel. I measured the distance from the center of the nut-plates to the panel, and transferred that measurement to the angles. I drilled the four holes in the angles, and prayed that after the angles were mounted to the panel, that the drilled and tapped 6/32 holes would still line up with the GMC 305. What can I say.....they did! I did add a few strips of aluminum tape to the outboard sides of the angles where the mounting screws past through, to exactly match the width of the existing panel hole.

Good luck understanding all of that. I will be glad to answer any questions.

Last edited: