DBone

Well Known Member
Has anybody ever sent their 430W to Garmin for repair? It looks like they charge a flat rate of $900, but it doesn't say what they will and won't do for that price. Certainly, they have some limit, right? If I run my 430W over with my truck and send it in, will they repair/replace it for $900? That doesn't seem right.

Also, it says you have to go through a dealer because an authorized dealer has to install it back in the plane. Are they going to make me do that even though the plane's experimental? I thought they softened their stance on this in recent years, but their web site says nothing about it.

Mine appears to be a software problem, but I'm just trying to get an idea about what I'm getting into.

Thanks!

yes, you have it all right. go thru a dealer and pay the flat rate to do it all. i have had my 430 for 11 years and 3,800 hrs. been in a couple of times. they used to deal direct but noy now. i think it was a payment issue? i feel that is pretty good. comes back with a new face, screen, software, they can even remove the tire tracks if needed. lowered a hanger door on a 396, which was in a bag, and cracked the screen, fixed for a flat rate. wore out a 496 recently and fixed for a flat rate $400 and received a new unit replacement. great service and company. im happy. my wallet a bit thinner. by the way, the 496 didnt go thru a dealer.
vafshirt.jpg

GNS 430W repair

The GNS 430W does have a flat rate repair cost of $900.00. This includes repairing the problem it came in for plus any other problems we find during testing of all the functions of the unit. Cosmetics also are addressed. The main and GPS receiver software is upgraded to the latest available, currently the main is 3.30 and the GPS is 3.2. The unit is returned with a 90 day warranty on the whole unit. If the unit is beyond economical repair you will be contacted and the unit returned without cost. The unit does need to be returned through a Garmin dealer for service. Please use this link to find a Garmin dealer close to you. http://www8.garmin.com/dealers/

A flat fee of $900 seems awfully steep, as I understand it the 430 has a internal battery that will need to be replaced every 5-7 years. Does this mean a $900 fee just to replace a battery?

I hope there will be alternative to Garmin as with any monopoly they can charge what ever they like to.

It is More of a Renewal

It is more of a renewal, they are changing, improving these things all the time, so when you send it in for a flat fee they bring it up to the new spec, so they do more than just repair the unit.

Hans