Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hi,
Ive read some posts on the required hole size on this site but I just want to confirm a minor detail with you all. Does the front edge of the mounting treys need to be flush with the face of the panel. If so, when radio is installed, will there be a space between the panel face and the face plates or is it a snug fit?
Also, does anyone have a pic of the mounts for the trey. I asked stein to send the treys which they did quickly but I failed to ask for mounting rails and such. Is taht something most just fabricate?

Thankyou!
Bill

The tray is flush with the backside of the panel.

I believe most people fabricate their own rails, we did.

I have plenty of pics on my laptop so if you PM me your email address I will send you a bunch when I grt to work this morning....yep it's Monday :D

Most people do indeed fabricat their own rails, but we can do that for you as well for a small fee! :)

Flush with the panel is pretty much correct unless you have a thicker than normal panel, an overlay on the panel, or you desire to set the radio stack back into the panel more than standard (so the radios don't stick out as far).

Just take some 3/4" angle and use that for mounting the racks. Here's the easy/quick way to do it.

1) Cut the hole for the avionics.
2) Put all of the avionics in (trays in the back, avionics in through the front).
3) After everything is lined up nicely in the panel and all avioncis are lined up nicely, tape all of the trays together securely. At this point you can put the rails up agains the trays and drill the rails to the panel...but pay attention not to make the panel holes line up with any of the radio rack holes.
4) Remove the main radios, but leave the trays.
5) Drill through the sides of the trays into the rails that you now have either screwed or cleco'd to the panel...

That's it! Of course it can take more time and be a little more complicated than that depending on your stack, but that's the basic premise.

Cheers,
Stein

pictures

does anyone have a pic of the mounts for the trey.

How you make your mounting rails depends on location in the panel relative to sub-ribs, etc. If doing it again I'd move things a little to avoid some interference issues I had from not thinking far enough ahead....but this is what mine ended up looking like with SL-30 nav/comm and Garmin xpdr at bottom:

RV-6AN731CK2.JPG

RV-6AN731CK1.JPG

n731ck-3.jpg

Link to web page with pictures and a little more explanation about the tray mount fabrication:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg3.htm

Hope that helps some!

Thanks to Stein air. I appreciate your expanation. BTW, I have always had great svc when I call you guys. Thanks!

Thanks Chris, That visual realy helps. Nice job too! What color is that panel? I like it!