n5lp

fugio ergo sum
DSC08253.jpg

I'm a "Garmin guy" but it is frustrating to have to replace the entire power cable again because this proprietary round connector pulls apart. My Garmin 496 is a portable and so is going to be installed and removed on a fairly regular basis. The connector unplugs hard and a little rocking is usually necessary. The last time I pulled it out of the airplane for the recent firmware update I didn't even notice that the connector separated into two pieces, until I tried to put the unit back. Sighhh. It could be really annoying on a long trip where you are probably going to unplug this deal every night to remove the navigator from the airplane.

Last edited:
Yep that thing is a pain! Thank goodness they replaced that with an awesome connection method on the Aera series.

Yep that thing is a pain! Thank goodness they replaced that with an awesome connection method on the Aera series.

Finally someone's sarcasm is at my level! I alsmost spit Pepsi out of my nose laughing at that one!! :)

In reality, those 90 degree connectors were bad...Garmin replaced them with a different design on later cables that was at least somewhat reliable. If/when you replace it you'll notice it's no longer a 90 degree unit, but a much heavier designed straight plug/cable. Those bent ones didn't last long...

Cheers,
Stein

You might want to try this

I sent an email to Garmin, with a picture and asked if I could get just the end to repair it. They emailed me back and ask for my address and then sent me a new cable. No charge. Never hurts to try.

Larry,

I'll check our "spare Garmin Parts" bag and see if we have an extra - it is not out of the realm of possibility....just have to find the bag first!

(I've had two of those come apart like that....)

Paul

Free replacements from Garmin

I had the same problem with a couple of our units. I called Garmin and they sent me two brand new cables, no charge, no shipping. The guy said they had a problem with earlier connectors and had redesigned it and were happy to replace any that broke.

Now I find out that I could have gotten a connector and or a free cable. I went out and purchased TWO "Accessory Power" cables so that I have a spare the next time it breaks. Both of the new ones have the STRAIGHT connector.

I also bought a new power connector after
my old one pulled apart. I didn't think calling
'Greedy Garmin' would do any good since they
had just raised my data update cost by 40%!
I guess I should have called them.

I do love their GPS396 though,
Tom

straight connector has opposite problem

I find that the straight style connector does not stay seated positively, in my AirGizmo/396.

I frequently have to wiggle the 396 to restore external power, and sometimes have to reach around behind the panel and try to push on the cable to make it seat better. It would be cool to lock with a bayonette or something.

That looks like Garmin's original 4-pin round connector... If so, you can buy just the connector itself from www.pfranc.com. You need to strip back your cable and solder your own wires into the new pins (and be careful about the orientation), but it can be done. I've made custom cables for everything from a GPS III to a GPSMAP76 using these connectors.