Jimd

Well Known Member
I am trying to figure out the best choice for data/chart updates for my g3x and gns 430w. I have searched the forum and DID find a few references to the choices but I would like to know what people have decided. There must be a few of you out there that have a similar hardware installation and similar mission profiles that have already made this decision?

I have a 430w and g3x touch. I am thinking maybe the best, most economical solution is a PilotPak of maybe the standard including flite charts and a separate jepp subscription for the 430w?

I also use foreflight so I have approach plates there as well.

Who understands the choices and what have you decided to do to solve the data update riddle?

Thanks,

Jim

I have dual G3X touch and a GTN 650

I went with the $150 package for the G3X, and the nav data (~$500) only for the 650.

I basically only use the 650 to input routes (and as my comm). the G3X is what I look at in flight, use for plates, etc. The 650 rarely even gets put on the map screen.

-Dan

I am trying to figure out the best choice for data/chart updates for my g3x and gns 430w. I have searched the forum and DID find a few references to the choices but I would like to know what people have decided. There must be a few of you out there that have a similar hardware installation and similar mission profiles that have already made this decision?

I have a 430w and g3x touch. I am thinking maybe the best, most economical solution is a PilotPak of maybe the standard including flite charts and a separate jepp subscription for the 430w?

Who understands the choices and what have you decided to do to solve the data update riddle?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

I have a very similar configuration... Garmin G3X (dual screen Non-touch) and a Garmin 420W, and use foreflight on an iPad Air2. From what I see on the Garmin Website, databases for the G3X non-touch and the Touch are priced the same... So, right now, if you get the "Pilotpak" subscription from Garmin for your G3X system that you described, it looks like you'll be paying $972.00. And then add to that the $450ish price that you pay Jeppesen for the 430 NavData Subscription and you will spend about $1422. Right now I spend $280 with Garmin for the G3X "bundle" that gives me everything I need for the G3X and spend $450 with Jeppesen for my 420W NavData. The total annual amount is about $730.

Since we don't have a GTN, (which I will be upgrading to later this year) we must get NavData for our 4XXw from Jeppesen. Therefore we can't save money by getting the PilotPak from Garmin to use on "ALL" of our databases. When I upgrade and replace my 420W with the GTN, even though I can then get the Pilotpak to use for the G3X AND the GTN, I still will not get the Pilotpak because... I can still continue to buy the G3X Bundle for $280 and then spend $465 with Garmin for just the GTN's NavData subscription. This total for everything that I need is only $745 instead of the $972 for the Pilotpak. I will save over $200... The reason is because the "Pilotpak" gives you ALL the databases for ALL of the equipment (G3X + GTN). I fly VFR & IFR and like/need all the databases to be current on only the G3X, I just need to have only the NavData current on the GTN, and I don't need to have the most current obstacle, safetaxi, and terrain databases on my GTN Navigator. The only database that I NEED to be current on the GTN is the NavData, which is available separately at the unbundled price of $465 (noted above)...

That's what I've determined is appropriate for my needs based on my recent conversations with both Garmin and Jeppesen.

Your requirements may be a little different.

Good luck.

Victor

I have a 2-screen G3X and a GTN 650 and have opted for the pilotpark to keep everything current. I fly IFR a lot and have GarminPilot on my tablet as my primary chart device so only really need to keep the GTN current but decided that to be comfortable totally paperless that I needed some sort of backup which are FlIteCharts on the G3X. Yes I understand there are cheaper ways to accomplish the same level of redundancy but prefer to have all of the avionics up to date as my solution YMMV. ........

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

We see you have a GNS instead of a GTN, but most of the information in this previous posting still applies.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=907583&postcount=7

Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Data...

Thanks guys! I'm am reviewing the replies and redeemed a coupon and downloaded updates for the g3x last night. How long will it take to load the full update to the g3x? I don't have cable internet, so it took several hours to download last night. I hope it moves faster from the sd card to the GDU.

Thanks again for the replies, they all help!

Jim

For me, because of the FliteCharts it takes about 15-20min per GDU. For comparison, the GTN, on the other hand, takes less than a minute.

Thanks guys! I'm am reviewing the replies and redeemed a coupon and downloaded updates for the g3x last night. How long will it take to load the full update to the g3x? I don't have cable internet, so it took several hours to download last night. I hope it moves faster from the sd card to the GDU.

Thanks again for the replies, they all help!

Jim

It does take a while to update (would be nice if they could do a differential download and update...) Probably 20-30 minutes per screen.

I download the entire country and I'm sure that is part of why it takes so long, but my logic is, I'm paying for the entire country, and it would really be annoying to take an unplanned trip and not have the charts on the screen.

-Dan

Jim,

I have a very similar configuration... Garmin G3X (dual screen Non-touch) and a Garmin 420W, and use foreflight on an iPad Air2. From what I see on the Garmin Website, databases for the G3X non-touch and the Touch are priced the same... So, right now, if you get the "Pilotpak" subscription from Garmin for your G3X system that you described, it looks like you'll be paying $972.00. And then add to that the $450ish price that you pay Jeppesen for the 430 NavData Subscription and you will spend about $1422. Right now I spend $280 with Garmin for the G3X "bundle" that gives me everything I need for the G3X and spend $450 with Jeppesen for my 420W NavData. The total annual amount is about $730.

Since we don't have a GTN, (which I will be upgrading to later this year) we must get NavData for our 4XXw from Jeppesen. Therefore we can't save money by getting the PilotPak from Garmin to use on "ALL" of our databases. When I upgrade and replace my 420W with the GTN, even though I can then get the Pilotpak to use for the G3X AND the GTN, I still will not get the Pilotpak because... I can still continue to buy the G3X Bundle for $280 and then spend $465 with Garmin for just the GTN's NavData subscription. This total for everything that I need is only $745 instead of the $972 for the Pilotpak. I will save over $200... The reason is because the "Pilotpak" gives you ALL the databases for ALL of the equipment (G3X + GTN). I fly VFR & IFR and like/need all the databases to be current on only the G3X, I just need to have only the NavData current on the GTN, and I don't need to have the most current obstacle, safetaxi, and terrain databases on my GTN Navigator. The only database that I NEED to be current on the GTN is the NavData, which is available separately at the unbundled price of $465 (noted above)...

That's what I've determined is appropriate for my needs based on my recent conversations with both Garmin and Jeppesen.

Your requirements may be a little different.

Good luck.

Victor

Victor,

What are you getting on the $280 G3X bundle that I'm not getting with the $150 bundle? I thought the $150 included everything?

-Dan

Victor,

What are you getting on the $280 G3X bundle that I'm not getting with the $150 bundle? I thought the $150 included everything?

-Dan

The difference is one has the full blown NAV database and one has the VFR Nav database.

For those of us with GNS/GTN units, the VFR Nav Database is all you need in the G3X if you keep the GNS/GTN up to date on the IFR NAV database.

My approach has been:

G3X Touch: US Lite Database Bundle $149.99/yr
GTN650: US Nav Database $465.00/yr

This keeps you up to date on the IFR database in the GTN, all the other stuff (Obstacles, FliteCharts, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases) is kept up to date in the G3X. Now if you have a 750, that might change your wants because of that nice big screen for charts....

Last edited:
The difference is one has the full blown NAV database and one has the VFR Nav database.

For those of us with GNS/GTN units, the VFR Nav Database is all you need in the G3X if you keep the GNS/GTN up to date on the IFR NAV database.

My approach has been:

G3X Touch: US Lite Database Bundle $149.99/yr
GTN650: US Nav Database $465.00/yr

This keeps you up to date on the IFR database in the GTN, all the other stuff (Obstacles, FliteCharts, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain databases) is kept up to date in the G3X. Now if you have a 750, that might change your wants because of that nice big screen for charts....

Actually Brian is correct... Further investigation and conversation with Garmin revealed that keeping the GTN Navigator's NavData database updated is all that's required for IFR navigation. Getting the $280 bundle gains the Jepp NavData for the G3X which can't be used for IFR anyway. So, Having both Jepp NavData on the G3X and the GTN is redundant because the GTN's NavData source will override what you see on the G3X. Therefore $149.99 + $465.00 is the way to go. If you don't have a GNS or GTN then perhaps you might want the Jepp NavData on the G3X and get the $280 bundle.

FYI...VFR & IFR charts are only available currently on the G3X touch, not the original legacy G3X.

Victor