celstar

Well Known Member
Two questions on the Garmin pilot App for the I-Pad mini. Can or will you be able to send a created route from your Garmin Pilot App to your Garmin 795/796? Second question is can you or will you in the future be able to send signals to your auto pilot from the I-Pad using the Garmin App or any other App's out there?

Hi David -

First, there is not currently a method of sending a flight plan (or trip plan) from the iPad to the Garmin Aera 795/795. Given they both have bluetooth, it may be possible to implement as a new feature but I leave any announcement of future capability to Garmin. I would love to see this feature as I do my trip planning at home using the Garmin Pilot App and I have a 795 in my airplane.

Second, unless Apple enables a serial interface for the iPad, the only option would be third party hardware. For example, an iOS app developer could develop a solution where they communicated over bluetooth to an external module which then converted the data to NMEA 0183 sentences and provided a serial connector. This would then connect to an autopilot.

I can not comment on any potential commercial implementation of the above.

Hi David -

First, there is not currently a method of sending a flight plan (or trip plan) from the iPad to the Garmin Aera 795/795. Given they both have bluetooth, it may be possible to implement as a new feature but I leave any announcement of future capability to Garmin. I would love to see this feature as I do my trip planning at home using the Garmin Pilot App and I have a 795 in my airplane.

Second, unless Apple enables a serial interface for the iPad, the only option would be third party hardware. For example, an iOS app developer could develop a solution where they communicated over bluetooth to an external module which then converted the data to NMEA 0183 sentences and provided a serial connector. This would then connect to an autopilot.

I can not comment on any potential commercial implementation of the above.

I guess it may be just a matter of time for both, anyone out there that can tell us when?

Americas Coverage

Also if Garmin Pilot have coverage for other countries woul be great, it coul be a good improvement that we can plan the flight in the ipad and "Charge it" in the g3x or portables such as 795/796

Garmin Pilot is not an aviator program. It will not track up.

Hi David - Garmin Pilot for iPad has "track-up". I can not speak for the features on Android. I do know that Garmin Pilot for iPhone does not [yet] have track up.

Personally, I use both track-up and north-up. I like track-up when I've transitioned from enroute to in the vicinity of an airport. I prefer north-up while flying enroute.

I just downloaded Garmin Pilot for my iPad. I also have a subscription to Wing X Pro. So far, I am impressed with the latest version of G Pilot. I like the rubber banding technique for creating a flight plan. This feature is easy to use, and in my opinion, a bit better then what I was doing on Wing X

Garmin Pilot, for me, is a great backup nav source and my "source" for legal charts. Works great on my Samsung Note II - using a RAM mount at the upper right part of the panel. (Trying to use an iPad in the -8 is near useless due to large size and dim screen).

Question for Android users - how do you cancel navigating a route? Not seeing an easy single step for this.

Question for Android users - how do you cancel navigating a route? Not seeing an easy single step for this.

I've been wondering the same, but I don't think you can. The 296-496 series had a simple "cancel navigation" command to clear everything; why can't this app have that? Reading the Garmin manual (pg37), it shows a "Clear Flight Plan" prompt on the Actions menu, but on my Nexus, the prompt doesn't exist. Frustrating.

Then there's the issue of not having an "active" map that shows details of MOAs and Restricted Areas. On my 496 I put the cursor on an MOA to get the details (altitudes) on it, but with this app there is no info about it whatsoever... or at least I just can't find it. I'd look at the chart side panel for that info, but wait, there aren't any chart side panels!

All in all I like this app, but these little things are driving me nuts. It seems like the programmers driving this thing aren't pilots, and it shows. Some of the "buttonology" is just not very intuitive to a non-programmer like me.