npowell

Well Known Member
I am a Foreflight user testing Garmin Pilot because I like the GDL39 ADS-B unit.

So far I am feeling ok about Garmin Pilot except: does anyone know how to receive METAR and TAF in plain language??

I know I have at one time learned to interpret, but it has never seemed safe to me to be making serious flight decisions based on gibberish.

If you are a Garmin Pilot user and/or use the GDL39, I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

N Powell
RV-9A
319 hours, and still smiling.

I also use Foreflight and have Garmin Pilot for the GDL. My intent was not to renew Foreflight and only use Garmin Pilot. But so far I'm keeping Foreflight because of that issue with Garmin Pilot not decoding. And I like the favorite airport listing for quick weather of my region at a glance in Foreflight. So back in January I asked Garmin support this exact question about decoding and this is the response I received back.

Thank you for your feedback and for using Garmin Pilot.

Decoding the TAFs is on the road map for the application but it is currently rather low on the priority list for features.

We have a few other feature that the developers are working on but eventually we will decode the TAFs but there is no timeframe as to when that will get added into the application.

So it sounds like the wait will be a little longer and one more year subscription to Foreflight. By the way, I only use Foreflight for preflight weather and not in the cockpit. Garmin Pilot does everything I need in the cockpit and the geo-referenced approach plates are great, plus inexpensive. I'm using the GDL with a 696 and the iPad Mini both. I discovered something cool today while doing a practice GPS approach using Garmin Pilot. I had a approach plate up on the iPad and still got a traffic warning. It popped up a message on top of the approach plate when I got some close traffic.

Last edited:
I am a Foreflight user testing Garmin Pilot because I like the GDL39 ADS-B unit.

So far I am feeling ok about Garmin Pilot except: does anyone know how to receive METAR and TAF in plain language??

I know I have at one time learned to interpret, but it has never seemed safe to me to be making serious flight decisions based on gibberish.

If you are a Garmin Pilot user and/or use the GDL39, I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

N Powell
RV-9A
319 hours, and still smiling.

I'm old school and the first thing I do is put METARS and TAFs in the raw form so I can read them. I'd probably like Pilot..
Time marches on.

Last edited: