RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am doing the trial period with the Garmin Pilot and using a WiFi only Android tablet. When I turn the WiFi off and I try to zoom in the map it goes blank as if it needs a connection to download the map data. This makes the thing useless for inflight use as there will be no WiFi connection. Even if I had cell data most altitudes would not get a good cell signal.

Is there a way to download the map and chart data so it is available in flight, or is this just a limitation of the trial version. I don't want to buy the subscription unless I can make the maps and charts available inflight.

Thanks for the help, a Google search of this question was not fruitful, my be the way the question was worked.

Cheers

download maps

Go to the home button in the upper left.
then go to downloads and load the data and charts you need. You do not need a data connection in flight to make it work.

Download

Mike,
Same thing happened to me. It appeared while on wifi that the charts were all there but they aren't. Go to downloads and pick the ones you want and download them on wifi. It will work great then.

You probably already know this, but the WiFi only Ipad doesn't have a built in GPS so you won't get any georeferencing.

WiFi only iOS devices do not have a GPS chip but many WiFi only Android devices do.

Mike - which Android tablet are you testing with ?

Last edited: