TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
We have a full Garmin package, including the G3X Touch and GTN-650.

What do you recommend, the Garmin Pilot app, or ForeFlight?

Why?

Now that Foreflight works well with the GTN/G3X I think it's hard to beat.

You should be able to get a 30 day demo of Garmin Pilot if you just want to try it out.

Good advice on the free trial. I've used both and believe you'll find each very capable.

I am now with Pilot because it works on my cockpit readable device (Android).

Have used both, like Foreflight better.

Both have way too many "bells-and-whistles" to be as simple as I would like, but that is where the market forces are driving them, so I just need to adapt I guess.

I have the 30 day trial version of both of these. I like the Garmin, but too early to tell.

Trying to determine which one is the most user friendly (pilot friendly!).

Vote for Garmin pilot

I tried them both. I like the key strokes to get to want I wanted on fore flight because it was more intuitive at first.. But I was turned off by not being able to download maps for fore flight free trial period. So I went with the Garmin. Now that I have been using the Garmin for a while, it has become second nature to find what I want quickly, so I am glad I stuck w Garmin and didn't get turned off by my early ignorance..

With both of them I wish there was some way to disable the iPad's sleep or lock button on top. Invariably I hit it on approach and loose the screen:)

You didn't mention WingX. I've used all 3. My preference for flight planning is Foreflight, WingX, Garmin pilot (best to less best-they're all pretty good). For in-flight use my preference is WingX, Foreflight, Garmin. And this was when I had to pay for WingX! -:)
They're all good, so choose one that works with your choice of ADSB-in box.

FlyQ?

I'm a low hour user of Foreflight but was lead to FlyQ by a FAAST webinar. Seems a bit easier to navigate. Not high jacking thread just adding a dimension to it. 1/2 the $dough of Foreflight too.

Need a program that will interface with the G3X and GTN-650.

The G3X Touch has Connext built in, no other device necessary. Can download flightplans to the external navigator from either Pilot or Foreflight. I don't know if the non touch version of the G3X is the same.

I believe the only way your will get ads-b data from the GDL39 to your mobile device is using the Garmin Pilot, which is what I have and like.

Pilot seemed tap-happy to me. Additionally, it was/is missing information.

For example, going into KRST there are two approach frequencies. Forflight tells me which I need to use while Pilot leaves me guessing.

I much prefer Foreflight for this and for performance reasons - it just feels "snappier" on my Air2 than Pilot.

Thanks. I still like the display on Pilot better, plus I can use the syn-vision right now.
Feedback from friends has been 50-50.
Still experimenting, though...

Pilot seemed tap-happy to me. Additionally, it was/is missing information.

For example, going into KRST there are two approach frequencies. Forflight tells me which I need to use while Pilot leaves me guessing.
Looks like 119.2 for 310-129?, and 119.8 for 130-309? per GP. When did you update last? They rolled out a new Android version a few weeks ago that changed many features, including a new airport info display.

I've been using GP for a year with my GTN-650/G3X Touch setup.
I would like to see auto low-altitude IFR airway routing on GP.
Most other apps incorporate that. I have suggested that change with Garmin.
My subscription just ran out and I was considering Fore Flight now that is compatible.

I've been using GP for a year with my GTN-650/G3X Touch setup.
I would like to see auto low-altitude IFR airway routing on GP.
Most other apps incorporate that. I have suggested that change with Garmin.
My subscription just ran out and I was considering Fore Flight now that is compatible.

Garmin does not show low altitude IFR airways? Seems odd.

Looks like 119.2 for 310-129?, and 119.8 for 130-309? per GP. When did you update last? They rolled out a new Android version a few weeks ago that changed many features, including a new airport info display.

This was last August, and it was the iOS version. Could very well be better now, but that specific feature was something I wrote into Airport Insight, a PalmPilot AFD I developed back in 2000. It just struct me as another artifact of an app written by non-pilots.

Garmin Pilot has low altitude airway routing and display including flight planning and intersection entry and exit points.