Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I've been playing with Garmin Pilot on my new iPad and seem to have a problem. I'm pretty new to this iPad stuff, so it may simply be a setting...

Anyway, when I load a flight and start to fly, the first leg lights up in the familiar magenta (active leg) color and the airplane symbol tracks nicely down the line. When I pass the first waypoint however, the prior leg remains active, and the waypoint distance remaining increases as I travel down range. In other words, the program does not track past the first waypoint. If I reboot and start from that spot forward, it acts correctly until the next waypoint, but clearly it should update as it rolls over the waypoints. As a final note, I'm using the Garmin Glo as my GPS source.

Any wisdom from the collective would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
So nobody is using the Garmin Pilot App? It would be nice to hear from you even if its working correctly.

Tried it but

after the 30 day free trial, decided I liked my WingX better. However, when I tried the Garmin Pilot, I do not recall having an issue with "next leg" kicking in.

I'm using it Micheal, but haven't had to opportunity yet to see if what you describe is an issue on mine. I think I have 14 days left in my trial period so hopefully this weekend I'll get to try it.

I am still not sure that I will purchase it. I've also had a 30 day trial with Naviator and I'm not sure that I don't like it better. I wish their maps seamed together, but I'm not sure that's all bad either. I like being able to read the information on the end tab of the "real" sectionals and you CAN"T do that with the Garmin App. Naviator does that, just by virtue of the way the maps are.
The other thing I like about Naviator is the bar that shows where your path will take you in a set time. It's handy when you're trying to navigate around restricted areas that are on your current path.

On the other hand, being able to use a GDL-39 bluetoothed to the tablet for weather and traffic is a huge deal with the Garmin Pilot.

I'm still undecided as to which way to go.

If I get the chance to fly this weekend I'll try what you've seen and see how it works.

Thanks for the replies! I just sent my question off to Garmin in an email, so we'll see what they come up with. Since I'm new to the iPad, I would immediatey suspect a "user" issue, but reports seems to indicate Garmin was/is one of the "buggiest" aps out there - I was thinking this may be one of them.

So nobody is using the Garmin Pilot App? It would be nice to hear from you even if its working correctly.

I am using Garmin Pilot on an Asus Infinity tablet. The 600 nit HD display, along with the moving map that does hi-lite the segment legs, makes for a pretty nice solution. I have cancelled my sectional subscriptions with My Pilot Store.

The Asus is an Android tablet that has a quad core processor and 600 nit HD display.

http://eee.asus.com/en/transformer-infinity/features