jjhoneck

Well Known Member
So, pilot friends, we successfully tested a two-tablet set-up in the RV today. Two Nexus 7's, running Garmin Pilot software, both bluetoothed SIMULTANEOUSLY to a Garmin GDL-39 remote GPS/ADS-B receiver, giving us traffic, weather, fuel prices, etc. on BOTH tablets. One tablet in front, one in back, both sharing the same Garmin Pilot subscription!

It worked flawlessly. We are very, very happy!

I regularly fly with a Nexus 7 & and an iPhone connected simultaneously to a GDL-39. I keep a few maps on the iPhone and mainly use it as a backup for weather, if needed.

-John
So, pilot friends, we successfully tested a two-tablet set-up in the RV today. Two Nexus 7's, running Garmin Pilot software, both bluetoothed SIMULTANEOUSLY to a Garmin GDL-39 remote GPS/ADS-B receiver, giving us traffic, weather, fuel prices, etc. on BOTH tablets. One tablet in front, one in back, both sharing the same Garmin Pilot subscription!

It worked flawlessly. We are very, very happy!

Thanks!!

Yea, thanks for that info Jay & John. My GDL 39 just arrived and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers & Happy New Year!! :)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help please!! My Nexus 7 2013 keeps going to sleep while I'm planning a trip in Pilot. :confused: This is brand new, hasn't been dropped or harmed. The only apps I loaded are Garmin Pilot & Garmin Utility to update the GDL 39.

I've gone to settings, display and set the sleep at 30 minutes of inactivity; but it keeps going to sleep in about 30 seconds. It also froze up on me. I went to Google and found the freeze is pretty common and the on/off switch has to be depressed for 30 seconds to reset.

I cannot find a satisfactory solution on Google for solving the frequent lapse into sleep. Any help you can give me is surely appreciated.

I like the N7 for it size, bright display, weight, etc.; but the thing going dark while I'm using it is unacceptable. Before I declare it a lemon, I'm wondering if I've missed something. :(

Thank you,

My N7 went to sleep while I was doing my run up prior to departure. Once I got moving, it stayed awake.

Neither my Nexus 7 (2013), nor my wife's Nexus 7 (2012) ever do what you're describing.

Nor do they lock up.

What version of the OS are you running? Have you received the Kit Kat update?

My N7 would go to sleep (actually the software would hang and it would just power down) very frequently while running an older version of the Android OS and Avilution. Kit Kat upgrade made the problem go away.

Don't know about other apps but Avilution allows you to lock the N7 in "permanently on" mode so the only way it goes to sleep is if you physically command it to do so. I've used this as a means of testing battery capacity - let it drain itself flat while sitting on my desk.

Thanks Gents

Thanks for the tips, believe you've solved my problems. I THOUGHT, I upgraded everything when I first started playing with the device.

After reading your comments Jay, I saw an upgrade was available and got a newer 4.0 yada yada OS which had "bug fixes". Evidently I did download the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the device seems to be operating properly now.

I'm going to explore all the suggestions. Thanks mucho Guys, I really appreciate the help!!! :D

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, believe you've solved my problems. I THOUGHT, I upgraded everything when I first started playing with the device.

After reading your comments Jay, I saw an upgrade was available and got a newer 4.0 yada yada OS which had "bug fixes". Evidently I did download the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the device seems to be operating properly now.

I'm going to explore all the suggestions. Thanks mucho Guys, I really appreciate the help!!! :D

Cheers,

Glad it worked out for you.

I was an early adapter of the Nexus 7 AND Garmin Pilot (been running it since OSH 2012), and can vouch for the fact that the app has gone through a bunch of iterations that have carried it from a marginal navigation program, to one that I simply won't fly without.

Now, with TWO independent versions running (one front, one back), both with weather and traffic, well, I couldn't be happier. :D

Cheers,

Glad it worked out for you.

I was an early adapter of the Nexus 7 AND Garmin Pilot (been running it since OSH 2012), and can vouch for the fact that the app has gone through a bunch of iterations that have carried it from a marginal navigation program, to one that I simply won't fly without.

Now, with TWO independent versions running (one front, one back), both with weather and traffic, well, I couldn't be happier. :D

Screen settings

You can change the App's screen display settings via:
Menu - Settings - General
Then select Auto, On, or Off.
The app defaults to Auto, which is sleep if moving slower than 40 kts.
On is display always on.
Off is Nexus 7 mode - sleep per your device's settings.

You can change the App's screen display settings via:
Menu - Settings - General
Then select Auto, On, or Off.
The app defaults to Auto, which is sleep if moving slower than 40 kts.
On is display always on.
Off is Nexus 7 mode - sleep per your device's settings.

Right Steve. Prior to my upgrading the OS to Android 4.4.2, it would NOT make any difference what I did. On/Off, sleep time to 30 minutes, etc., etc. It would also freeze up on me. I learned on Google how to reboot it.

But all seems to be working swell now that I installed the upgrade. Something I will pay close attention to now. My recommendation to any new N7 owner is to do the update first thing to spare yourself this grief. :)

Thank you,

Ok everyone, I hope you can help me out with a couple of questions. I just bought a GDL39 so since it needs Garmin Pilot I also bought a subscription for it. I have been using ForeFlight for about 2 years now and have been very very happy with its functionality.

Here are my questions in trying to understand all the functionality and configurations available in Pilot:
  1. The temperatures are all in Celcius. Is there a way to change to Fahrenheit?
  2. Can I change speeds to mph instead of knots?
  3. can I change nautical miles to statute miles?
  4. Is there a way to see the winds aloft for an entire trip prior to setting the flight plan for the purpose of choosing the best altitude to fly prior to the flight?

All of these things are easily altered and controlled in ForeFlight but I have not been able to see where Pilot lets me use any of these capabilities or to change any of the temp, speed, distance types. Can anyone fill me in on these functionalities in Pilot?

Ok everyone, I hope you can help me out with a couple of questions. I just bought a GDL39 so since it needs Garmin Pilot I also bought a subscription for it. I have been using ForeFlight for about 2 years now and have been very very happy with its functionality.

Here are my questions in trying to understand all the functionality and configurations available in Pilot:
  1. The temperatures are all in Celcius. Is there a way to change to Fahrenheit?
  2. Can I change speeds to mph instead of knots?
  3. can I change nautical miles to statute miles?
  4. Is there a way to see the winds aloft for an entire trip prior to setting the flight plan for the purpose of choosing the best altitude to fly prior to the flight?

All of these things are easily altered and controlled in ForeFlight but I have not been able to see where Pilot lets me use any of these capabilities or to change any of the temp, speed, distance types. Can anyone fill me in on these functionalities in Pilot?

I've used GP since the start, and never tried to change any of those settings. I just perused the menus, and don't see that those parameters are user adjustable.

Which, of course, begs a question that could start a whole 'nother thread: Why would you change an aviation GPS to non-aviation settings?

As for winds aloft, yes you can set up a flight plan, go to the map, and overlay winds aloft. You can vary the altitude with the slider, selecting the best one available.

I've used GP since the start, and never tried to change any of those settings. I just perused the menus, and don't see that those parameters are user adjustable.

Which, of course, begs a question that could start a whole 'nother thread: Why would you change an aviation GPS to non-aviation settings?

As for winds aloft, yes you can set up a flight plan, go to the map, and overlay winds aloft. You can vary the altitude with the slider, selecting the best one available.
well, to answer your question with several answers:
  • everything I do in my life is in statute miles. Why do I want to mess with dealing with a totally different set of numbers just because someone else sets their information up that way?
  • When I discuss speeds, distances, etc. with non-aviation individuals they all understand statute miles and statute mph. Few if any know anything at all about knots or nautical miles.
  • All of Van's speed #'s are in statute mph.
  • What ever gave you the idea that nautical miles was an aviation thing? That concept was taken from the marine world. Aviators borrowed knots and nautical measurements from sailors.

One last thing on the temperature. Why would they not be providing the ability to change C to F? At least here in the good Ol' USA where do we look at weather temperature readings in Celsius? Ask you wife or kids, or your neighbor the next time you see them how hot or cold they think 20 deg Celsius is.

Last edited:
Same subscription?

Jay,

I have a question regarding the same subscription. Have you bought a subscription or are you on one of the 3 month coupons. I was on a coupon and could use my iPad mini or galaxy tab at the same time but once that ran out and I tried it again my second device, galaxy tab in this case would not run.

Just curious they may have changed this in one of the latest updates, I guess I will have to try again. Having a tablet running for the GIB would be nice on trips.

Cheers

One subscription will run on two devices. I run the tablet of course but I have it on my phone as a backup.

One issue I ran into was when I switched phones. I couldn't get the app to run on the new one and at first I couldn't figure it out. It kept telling me my subscription was expired. Both phones were android devices, I had to delete the old one from my google profile (or whatever it called...), once I did that I had no issues.