Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I recently took a buddy flying, and he had an Ipad mini with Garmin "Pilot" installed.

I was really impressed with the program, and wanted to see what the VAF brain trust has to say about it.

Anyone know it this will work on a first gen Ipad, or does it require something newer.

Thanks in advance.

iPad 1

Works just fine on an iPad 1. That is what I use. I started using G-pilot when I got their ADS-B until last OSH. App has improved a lot since then, and love the ADS-B weather.

I have used Foreflight for two years and I just let my subscription lapse. I now have the Garmin Pilot on my iPad since I am building a panel with all Garmin stuff. I find the apps to be about the same just layed out different.
It is going to take a while to get used to it. Expecially flying approahes.

Because of my GDL-39, I installed Garmin pilot. I works just as good
as Foreflite (which I still have) but in my opinion is not as easy to
navigate. You can store charts in binders in GP, but I think
they are easier to access in Foreflite (one tap away). I wish GP
had a favorites tab for airports like Foreflite. The info available
is comparable on both. Because GP loads updates by WAC/sectional
the download process seems faster. I was used to FF, and Garmin Pilot is
just different. Pricing is equal. Both are constantly upgrading features.
The GDL 39 is bluetoothed to both my 796 and the iPad. The traffic and
weather info on GP on the iPad is great. If i had a Stratus, no doubt
I would still be using Foreflight. Different is not bad, just different.

I like it (the Android version). Very easy to see, pretty good arrangements on the screens/menus. Works very well, very fast updates, and never buggy with my Samsung Note II. I have also used ForeFlight (iPad) and Avolution AviationMaps (Android) and prefer the Pilot. One thing I desperately would like to know is how to easily stop navigation and/or clear the navigation planning. Garmin, please create one simple red "stop navigation" button.

Last edited:
Garmin Pilot

Just chose Garmin Pilot after trying several other Android apps. It is fast and stable. Planning is easy with the graphical option on Map psge. Lots of weather options to show. Im IFR and need the pkates wjich are there. The zoming and paning work better then the other apps I tried.

Just flew a cross country with on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 invh tab mounted on the yoke and it was fun and interesting. Easy to read. Large font.