guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: I've searched the archives for the answer and couldn't find it. I have a Nexus 7 with the Garmin Pilot App and have discovered a glitch I consider a major problem. If I want to enter coordinates for way points in Degrees, minutes, seconds, mostly Degrees and Minutes, my way point is not where I expected it to be, but several miles away. I discovered that the Garmin Pilot App is converting the Degrees, Minutes, Seconds to Degrees and decimal degrees and plotting that coordinate. Am I doing something wrong or did Garmin decide that Degrees, Minutes, Seconds is not the conventional aviation format any longer? Dan

Yup, this is one of the few things I dislike about the Garmin Pilot app.

There seems to be no way of changing the input type. I would prefer deg/decimal minutes or even deg/min/seconds but it only allows input in decimal degrees. After you create the waypoint it will show it in deg/min/seconds which adds to the confusion.

You can download an app to do the conversion to decimal degrees for you, then input the result in GP. There is no worse format than decimal degrees when you're looking at a map to figure a waypoint.

Most of the nav systems I've used are in degrees/decimal minutes. I find that the most simple to use. Hopefully the next update will allow us to choose the format we want to work in.

Good luck,
Doug

Garmin tech support

Send a problem report with you tablet. Garmin has been pretty good at incorporating user input into their updates.

Thanks for the input, after finding out I'm not the problem, I called Garmin Tech Support and actually got a tech on the first try. He said he was a pilot and they were getting complaints but had no solution or time frame for a fix. I told him politely that the App is sold as an Aviation App and it should be in the standard aviation format and if it's not by next July, the SAR AirSq I belong to will not be renewing our 15 copies which we purchased thru Sportys. Dan.