aeroaddict

Well Known Member
What is the difference? I looked all over the Garmin site and App store but could not find what the difference in subscriptions would be.

Also, does the Pilot app have most or all of the same feature as would come with the Aera 796?

Here are the 3 levels of subscriptions that you can buy within the Garmin Pilot app. You should download and try it for a month. The menu is similar to the 796 but I wouldn't say it takes place of it.... you get close for the money.

I use Garmin Pilot on android, I think there is only one subscription there, but you have options for safe taxi, Geo-reference plates and I think one thing you can add on. I believe it has most of the same features as the Aera 796, but I would say it is nice to be able to plan flights and file them, and get the legal Duats wx brief on your device.

Things at least the android version does not have that the Aera 796 does have is-
-3D Vision
-XM Radio

Things I like over the Aera 796
-Better screen resolution
-File with Duats
-shares a similar interface to the GTN line
-Wifi map updates

I went with tablet running Garmin Pilot almost purely on cost with the goal of eventuality getting a GDL 39 to have ADS-B Weather. This put my total cost under 1,000$ (with the GDL 39).

Thanks BCP, as you now I'm following the other thread on the GDL-39. Your information is helpful and I have downloaded the 30 day trial for my android phone. I think the terrain option for $50 is well worth it.

Flyingdreamz, really appreciate your input. I think it comes down to customer value and the android tablet/GDL-39 can't be beat.

Glad I could help. The one thing that I should mention is that although the screen on many of our tablets is nicer than the 796 (as was stated in the last post) viewing it in sunlight is a complete different story. I have my iPad Mini mounted on panel under the glare shield (-7 slider) and on most sunny days it really is tough but not impossible to see the iPad. The 796 is much better in direct sunlight... but the price difference is pretty significant.

Yes, the readability in sunlight has been the issue for the tablets. At this point, I figure I would try the android out as my laptop is old and dying, plus I can try the tablet in the C172 and learn the app while finishing the -7. And by the time I get to the panel phase, who knows, they might have bio-computers. :D

Yes, the readability in sunlight has been the issue for the tablets. At this point, I figure I would try the android out as my laptop is old and dying, plus I can try the tablet in the C172 and learn the app while finishing the -7. And by the time I get to the panel phase, who knows, they might have bio-computers. :D

I bought a mate screen protector had have almost no issues, it gives the screen the same look as the GNS 430/530 and does not have a glare problem.

Android buying tips-
- Try to stay name brand, I went with an Acer B1 it was 116 bucks and it may be a little slow at times but it works great.
- On board GPS is a MUST, if it does not have it dont buy it because now you have to buy a Bluetooth GPS. The GPS is good enough for VFR IFR reverence finding but it is not Garmin quality.
- Bluetooth is a must if you plan of getting a GDL 39 or if your tablet does not have GPS
- 1280X720 is about the lowest screen resolution I would go, any lower and the pixels per inch makes things look fussy.
- 7 Inches is also a good size, I glued the straps of my keyboard to my tablet case. It works great, its just the right size.
- If you buy on the lower end, or buy something that does not have great batter life, get a back up battery, they will run you about 20 to 30 bucks, but it removes it from the ships power to make it legal as a class 1 EFB.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs400/afs430/media/efb_job_aid.pdf