Brantel

Well Known Member
Garmin Panel Upgrade 2.7" : )

In the process of converting this:

into this:

by using this:

Yes! I need an intervention! :eek:

Stein you are such an enabler! :p

I hated to see my beloved 796 go but I really never did use it as a portable and I like the clean look of the panel mounted setup.

Last edited:
Brian, you are nuts. If you can't keep yourself from messing with your panel, you are welcome to come finish mine!!!

Looking good Brian. Are you going to have separate aerobatic limitations for pilot and copilot now? :)

mcb

Looking good Brian. Are you going to have separate aerobatic limitations for pilot and copilot now? :)

mcb

Thanks Matt,

That middle rendering actually does not exist so the limits will only be on the copilot's side. I reused the quick and dirty layout pic I did back when y'all announced the 7" Touch...

We flew Mikey with the Big/little combination down to SOCAL and back two weeks ago - first cross-country in that config. I think I really surprised Louise when I told her she could have both legs in the left seat. I was fine with the little screen to play with on the right - lots of shiny things to keep me busy!!

Paul

Last edited:
I tweaked the old renderings to better reflect the current plan. I still managed to get the two placards backwards. Oh well, you get the idea... :p

And this, ladies and gents, is the real reason why Brian knows the G3X install manuals inside and out. :eek: New manual rev or software release? That's too easy (and cheap). Let's swap out a whole 'nother half of the panel! :p

And this, ladies and gents, is the real reason why Brian knows the G3X install manuals inside and out. :eek: New manual rev or software release? That's too easy (and cheap). Let's swap out a whole 'nother half of the panel! :p

The good news for me is that this is almost a plug and play install from a wiring stand point. Other than switching the operating mode jumper in the connector that is already installed behind the panel (left over from the 3 screen original setup), I can just plug this puppy in....

Question on big little

Hi Brian,

I wondered how the big/little combo would work. Do you have to pay two different data base updates, or will do they do both for the same price? Is the wiring much different?

Great looking setup by the way!

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Brian,

I wondered how the big/little combo would work. Do you have to pay two different data base updates, or will do they do both for the same price? Is the wiring much different?

Great looking setup by the way!

Cheers

Geoff

the screens share a "systemID" which is what the updates are tied to, so one subscription works for the whole "system" which can have one, two, or three screens

i learned this the hard way, as i inputted the serial#'s into the subscriptions and then after an hour drive to the airport to do updates, realized that's not the # it wants

Phase 1 of upgrade complete:

One minor jumper change to make, update firmware and databases and I will be finished with this upgrade! :D

Finally had a chance to finish my upgrade yesterday evening and take a test ride. Sure is nice to regain a fully integrated screen on the right side. The flexibility built into these systems is simply amazing.

TeamX has done a great job optimizing the G3X system for this 10" PFD & 7" MFD combo by allowing the MFD to be switched between full screen MFD or PFD modes with a simple push of a touch button.

The configurability of screen layout options like what shows and where are fairly flexible so one can customize for personal taste and panel layout fit.

TeamX knocked the reversionary mode of the 7" Touch out of the park. How they managed to stuff so much info into such a small space and yet keep it all usable is pretty cool.

It is pretty awesome to watch the G3X system reconfigure its self by introducing failures into the system. The G3X does the best it can to always provide you with PFD and EIS instruments at all times somewhere on the panel. The automatic cross checking, auto failover, and the ability to manually select an AHRS when multiples are installed makes for a very capable IFR platform.

One more item I just thought about:

The original non touch G3X system did not support BlueTooth so the only way to get info out of the GDL39 was thru the hardwired connection. As a result, weather data was only available on the screen the GDL39 was connected to. Not so with the G3X Touch units... If you have two or more screens, you can connect one to the GDL39 with the hardwired connection and another screen with BlueTooth and enjoy weather data on both screens AND you still have another Bluetooth connection on the GDL39 for use with portable devices!