bkthomps

Well Known Member
http://blog.foreflight.com/2015/07/16/foreflight-connectivity-with-garmin-avionics/

ForeFlight Mobile, a premier application that can be used with Connext, wirelessly communicates with Flight Stream 210/110 to display ADS-B traffic and weather information received from the GDL 88/84. The internal attitude sensor within Flight Stream 210 also powers ForeFlight Synthetic Vision with dynamic pitch and bank information. Highly accurate WAAS GPS position information provided by the GTN? 650/750 or GNS 430W/530W navigators or GDL 88 with an internal WAAS receiver, is also shared to display precise position information on ForeFlight Mobile?s moving map view. Connext compatibility is available today and additional capabilities are expected in the future.

Wow! I thought this was much further out. I'm impressed that these two smart business were able to see the light.

GDL 39 not included

From what I have read the GDL 39 is not included due to the ForeFlight relationship with Stratus

I hope this does not mean they are getting out of the app market. If they drop Pilot, then I have no hope of seeing a Windows EFB offering that is compatible with my avionics. Not that I have much now; I've been lobbying them for awhile to port Pilot to Windows. :(

I hope this does not mean they are getting out of the app market. If they drop Pilot, then I have no hope of seeing a Windows EFB offering that is compatible with my avionics. Not that I have much now; I've been lobbying them for awhile to port Pilot to Windows. :(

Garmin is saying they will keep Pilot going. I sure hope so, because there is no way I'm moving to iOS devices.

i have windows tablets, apple tablets, and an android one floating around somewhere

the iPad is used in the plane mostly, why restrict yourself to one platform? these things are cheap for the value they add

the iPad is used in the plane mostly, why restrict yourself to one platform? these things are cheap for the value they add

I know it's sorta silly, but I just hate dealing with Apple. As a result, I avoid all of their products. Unfortunately, most aviation app developers treat Android as an unwanted step-child, if they even acknowledge Android at all. So as long as there is a vendor who's making a good product that works on Android, I'll keep myself free from the Apple tether.

From what I have read the GDL 39 is not included due to the ForeFlight relationship with Stratus

Maybe they will open up the ability to use Stratus receivers with Garmin as an alternative to the Garmin GDL 39? That would be progress.

Looks like I would have to use Flight Stream 210 to upload a flight plan from my Foreflight to my Garmin 430 W?

I know it's sorta silly, but I just hate dealing with Apple. As a result, I avoid all of their products. Unfortunately, most aviation app developers treat Android as an unwanted step-child, if they even acknowledge Android at all. So as long as there is a vendor who's making a good product that works on Android, I'll keep myself free from the Apple tether.
I know it's sorta silly, but I just hate dealing with Microsoft. As a result, I avoid all of their product.:)

I have no idea if Garmin ever plans to allow this integration with the G3X Touch system but.... When using the Garmin Pilot app along with a G3X Touch/GTN combo, you don't need the FlightStream box in between. The G3X Touch serves that purpose in that case. Stands to reason they may allow this for Foreflight as well since they now have a partnership going on????

You'd be surprised how many folks buy them. That said, there has a been a number of deals where they were "free" with other purchases...

Also, you know that's what happens when you add the dreaded "TSO" sticker to things! :)

Cheers,
Stein

I have no idea if Garmin ever plans to allow this integration with the G3X Touch system but.... When using the Garmin Pilot app along with a G3X Touch/GTN combo, you don't need the FlightStream box in between. The G3X Touch serves that purpose in that case. Stands to reason they may allow this for Foreflight as well since they now have a partnership going on????

i asked them in their announcement thread, no response

i have windows tablets, apple tablets, and an android one floating around somewhere

Interoperability is one reason why I like to stick with one platform. Another is that I know how to program android apps and don't feel like learning the apple way. Yet another is that I simply prefer android to apple. I have an iPhone and an android phone, and I really just don't care for the iPhone (but I have to use it for work).

I have far better things to do with my money than to keep buying new gadgets. I should only need one tablet, one phone.

Just flew mine, will post pics when I get to house

It shows up now as Garmin connext under devices in foreflight

GPS and attitude only- no weather, no traffic, no flight plans

Bah humbug

Just flew mine, will post pics when I get to house

It shows up now as Garmin connext under devices in foreflight

GPS and attitude only- no weather, no traffic, no flight plans

Bah humbug

So Brian, can you give us a little more detail on how this works?

Do you have the connect box, or just the G3X and the GTN 650?

I have a g3X but no GTN yet, and I couldn't find anything in my devices inforeflight...

-Dan

I have a g3X but no GTN yet, and I couldn't find anything in my devices inforeflight...

-Dan

Is your G3X a Touch or Legacy system? You must have a Touch for this integration to work as it has built in Bluetooth. Your device must also be paired with the display.

Last edited:
Is your G3X a Touch or Legacy system? You must have a Touch for this integration to work as it has built in Bluetooth. Your device must also be paired with the display.

I have the g3x touch.

So I just pair it with one of my screens?

-Dan

At Oshkosh I talked to both the G3X guys and the VP from Foreflight that is responsible for the integration. Neither group had any idea if/when the Foreflight integration would be available to us G3X users. The Foreflight VP was very nice about it (even a bit surprised that it was possible) asked me to email him as a reminder to look into it which I have done (and I copied G3Xpert). Hopefully we will see something soon. I am very much interested in having this capability.

Darin

-Dan

you bluetooth pair your iPad or iPhone with your G3X screen that has the bluetooth module

i don't see this as anything useful, without the weather/traffic or flight plan transfer

if I bought the FlightStream box it wouldn't help either, I'd only get file transfer as my GTN stack does not have weather or traffic- that is all in the G3X. I'm not sure what the preferred answer is given that aspect of it

here's a shot of it in flight, i thought i was on v3.70, i'll have to investigate the validity of that...if 3.6 ends up being my issue, i'll report back

ICXx7K8.jpg

Last edited:
Garmin Pilot running on Android and iOS devices connects directly to the GDU 460/465 PFD to receive AHRS and GPS data and send/receive flight plans over Bluetooth, and also connects directly to the GDL 39/39R over Bluetooth to receive ADS-B traffic and weather for a very complete solution.

Not sure what Foreflight plans to support or not support (please ask them), but it would need to connect to a G3X Touch system in the same manner described above to provide the same capability. It is our understanding that Foreflight has the information needed to accomplish this if they choose to do so.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
It sounds like they are just missing the "Connects to GDL39" portion for the weather/traffic that I want.

Do they also have the necessary info to program the flight plan transfer portion the Garmin Pilot App does so well?

It sounds like they are just missing the "Connects to GDL39" portion for the weather/traffic that I want.

Do they also have the necessary info to program the flight plan transfer portion the Garmin Pilot App does so well?

Hi Brian,

Good question.

According to their website "Flight plan transfer capability is currently in development and will be available in a future app update.".

Thanks,
Steve

I think it is important to realize that this relationship is brand new and is sort of a paradigm shift so it will take some time for these features to become fully developed and vetted.

I for one am hoping that Garmin continues to improve Garmin Pilot for Android and or hope to see Foreflight port to an Android version as well.

Just to finalize my datapoint, I upgraded to 3.70 and confirmed same results, I guess it's on foreflight to get the rest programmed

The flight plan transfer feature was working well for me this weekend between Foreflight and my G3X Touch. I never looked for weather, or tried to pair the iPad to the GDL39r.

Could the Garmin Flightstream 210 be considered as viable backup EFIS instrumentation? Eliminating the need for a second EFIS installed in the panel?