flysrv10

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a Garmin HA in a Rv10? If so, can you share installation details/picyures? Specifically, where the antenna is mounted under the belly and any other useful details?

Thank you. Rob.

I'm following because I was thinking about doing this on my RV-10. My depth perception is not great at night so I think it could help my night landings.

Question -- does it work over water? I was wondering if it would be helpful in a ditching situation when you don't have any visual altitude reference.

At Oshkosh 24, I saw Skyvoice Glassy guide400 from Holy Micro ( www.Holymicro.com) it claims 400 ft. Take off & landing height announcer for sea planes and many other voice call outs
No personal experience

Has anyone installed a Garmin HA in a Rv10? If so, can you share installation details/picyures? Specifically, where the antenna is mounted under the belly and any other useful details?

Thank you. Rob.
Mine went under the co pilot seat as far inboard and away from the gear leg as possible. Was convenient since I had can bus there already. It performs well. Though it's likely closer to the main gear leg than it should be it

I've read others that put it just behind baggage wall where it will have a clearer view of the ground but move more as the plane pitches.

Derek

Last edited:
I've put one in the tail of an RV7A into an existing hole, I don't think the flare will change the height enough to notice, owner said it worked great.

I put one just behind the baggage bulkhead on a -9A. I did the math on impact of mounting there vs. at CG over a range of pitch attitudes that are experienced below 500' -- if mounted flat against the fuselage the error at 1 foot in the flare is about 2"; at 200' it's about 20' off at typical descent angles. I 3d printed a wedge that it mounts to that brings it to parallel with level pitch attitude. That adds a few inches of (theoretical) additional error in the late flare but lowers average error.

In practice, it probably doesn't matter -- you can adjust the zero height, and you're primarily reacting to the trend of callouts anyway.

Same as DerekS. Under seat makes for easy access. Put it against the tunnel and the gear does not interfere. It works great.

I put it just behind the baggage wall. It mounts in close proximity to the GSA28 aileron servo. Used the canbus from the GSA28 end position, very little wire work necessary to complete the install. Mount flat on the belly and don't worry about level or and angle when landing. It picks up right down to 1 foot in the flare and I go stick forward for a nice smooth no bounce wheel ldg. Works great.

I also saw a guy that mounted the radar sensor basically just below the fuel valve in the tunnel.

I was leaning towards this location.

Although behind the baggage bulkhead would be convenient...

I'm following because I was thinking about doing this on my RV-10. My depth perception is not great at night so I think it could help my night landings.

Question -- does it work over water? I was wondering if it would be helpful in a ditching situation when you don't have any visual altitude reference.

It works very good over water. I fly over the ocean all the time with it..it will display up to about 530' AGL. In this video, I'm landing on a runway with a lake just before it.. so it apparently works well at low altitudes as well..

It works very good over water. I fly over the ocean all the time with it..it will display up to about 530' AGL. In this video, I'm landing on a runway with a lake just before it.. so it apparently works well at low altitudes as well..

Thanks for the video! Andover was a great airport to test at. Seems to work well over the water. I also agree that Linden is the worst. Just my luck that it’s the only airport I can get to in less than an hour from my home in Brooklyn.

Side note: don't forget that the GHA15 connector requires you to fill all the holes (it's a sealed connector) - if there's no wire connecting to a hole, insert a socket anyway and insert the plastic plug on top of it to hold it in.