Paul Eckenroth

Well Known Member
Checked the archives but unable to find anything on a mandatory suppression mod required on the GTX 330. I'm getting the biannual VFR transponder check and the avionics shop is saying this is required to pass the transponder check. I'm sure that I am not alone in being put in this position so would like confirmation that the mod is indeed required or maybe not since the plane is experimental. Would appreciate any info.

Paul

This SB is 8 years old. Are you sure it wasn't done before (or is your transponder newer than 8 years old?). Garmin considers it mandatory, but if there is no AD then..... Of course the shop may choose not to sign it off without it, in which case you're stuck. Garmin would probably have paid for it 8 years ago; not sure now.

There is no difference in the transponder rules between EAB and normally certified aircraft.

"Biennial"

Transponder probably 8 1/2 years old

Thanks Bob for your comments. The transponder has gone through 3 checks with no red flags. Now someone decided to check it. Good news is Garmin still does the mod for free but I will have avionics shop time to pay for in addition to shipping.

Paul

Garmin should have sent you a letter 8 years ago.

It's an unfortunate fact in general aviation that companies seem to expect customers to pay the shipping for warranty returns, even when the issues were not the customer's fault.

How much will your shop charge to put the transponder in a box? Maybe you need a new avionics shop.

Thanks for all the replies. When the initial post was made I did not have information concerning cost or whether the mod must be done for experimentals. I now know and the deal will be done. The avionics shop gave me a loaner while the unit is sent back to Garmin.