13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

Does anyone know if it's possible to make a GTX-327 transponder NOT turn on automatically when power comes on? I've gone through the installation manual, and I don't see a setting for this. There IS a setting that turns the auto-standby feature (that I didn't even know about) on or off. It was defaulted to on, and I tried turning it off, but that didn't help me.

If I can't have it stay off, does anyone know if it will hurt it to leave it in standby during engine starts?

Thanks,
Rusty (DAR tomorrow, first flight maybe Sunday)

13brv3 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to make a GTX-327 transponder NOT turn on automatically when power comes on? I've gone through the installation manual, and I don't see a setting for this. There IS a setting that turns the auto-standby feature (that I didn't even know about) on or off. It was defaulted to on, and I tried turning it off, but that didn't help me.

If I can't have it stay off, does anyone know if it will hurt it to leave it in standby during engine starts?
Search works really great!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=12270
Do NOT wire pin #1 to power.

w1curtis said:
Search works really great!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=12270
Do NOT wire pin #1 to power.

Man, that's embarrassing :eek:

Thanks William. I usually DO search before asking questions, but in this case, I guess I figured I was the only one who didn't appreciate the auto power up "feature".

The answer is good news / bad news info though. Since Garmin's stupid policy forced me to pay someone else to wire the harness, I never knew about the option of using pin 1. Since this harness is not easily reached now, I'll just have to file this in the "next time I have to go in there" category. Rats!

Thanks again for the speedy pointer to the previous thread.

Cheers,
Rusty

surges and sags

It's always best to have electrical devices turned off when starting the engine. The surges and sags can destroy and/or weaken lots of components.

Garmin does specifically say that the transponder should be off during start, so that took care of that question. As for the power on routine, I moved my Dynon from the avionics bus to teh master bus. Now I can go through all my start up before I ever get to the point where I need to turn on the avionics breaker. Problem solved :D

Thanks,
Rusty