GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
The RV-10 I just purchased has a GTN 650, approximately 3 years old. I don't think the NAV data was ever updated, the loaded NAV data was from May 2011. I added the 650 to my Jep subscription and updated the data card with NAV data. After powering up the 650 it recognizes the new NAV data (latest cycle) but when I push update it indicates "Navigation Data Update Failed".

Other than calling Garmin or Jep has anyone run into this?

Thanks
Gary

I had a problem initially when I fat fingered my serial number into the registration form on the flygarmin site. The end result was the embedded coded didn't match the one in the chip in the tray. The end result was the data wouldn't load. Once I corrected the serial number online, everything worked fine. I was frustrated and couldn't figure out the issue, but Garmin support was pretty helpful in isolating the problem.

Also, the obstacle db is sensitive to the the version of software running on the 650. You have to grab the correct file for it to load as well.

Update

So I called Jeppesen about the issue and they said "it should work fine". Since the 650 recognized the correct database (1501 05-Feb-15) they said the card was OK.

I called Garmin and the first question they asked was did I purchase and upload from I-FLY Garmin. I told them no it was from Jep. They said something about the SD card unlock that Jep doesn't have?

Long story short I had a Garmin single complimentary database update. We walked through setting me up on I-Fly and did update the SD card for all databases (free this time).

The Garmin NAV data looks to be $120 more per year. Garmin does cover the Americas and Jep was North America.

So my question is does anyone else have a subscription from Jep for their GNT and does it work?

Thanks
Gary

I have a Jeppesen subscription for my GTN-650 and use it every month without any problems.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

I use the Jeppesen services software and have been using it successfully for several years.

I just blindly purchased from flygarmin. I guess I need to check Jepp to see if there is a price difference when I come up for renewal.

Minor correction.

The website used for downloading Garmin databases is fly.garmin.com.

To check prices for individual updates or database bundles, go here.

I'm not aware of any subscriptions that are more expensive through the fly.garmin.com website than through Jeppesen. But I'd like to look into it if you can say exactly which products were being compared.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
I stand corrected
I was comparing Garmin North America ($585) vs Jeppesen Full America ($465).

Both companies offer Full USA or North America for the same price.

Once the Garmin rep helped me out the install was straightforward. I'd also like to say the Garmin rep took his time and was very professional.

Can't wait to get some time to start using the 650. I've had a 430 in the 7A for 10 years and I know it by heart. I'm sure the 650 will become second nature after using it for awhile.

Thanks for all the replies
Gary