MC2

It's time to do a panel upgrade and I'm thinking of installing a 650 as a key part of the upgrade. Has anyone installed a GTN 650 in a tipup 9? Or a 430 for that matter. The lengths of these are 11.25 and 11 inches respectively, and it looks like that would require cutouts in the 768 center subpanel, at least for the backside connectors and possibly a cutout for the whole back of the unit. I'd prefer to do a center radio stack with glass on either side. Any issue with doing the cutouts in the subpanel? I would be very interested in any advice and or pictures.

Last edited:
Mardy
I'm on the tail end of building a 7A tipup. I have a GTN50, SL40 & GTX327.
The GTN & SL40 both required cutting into the subpanel. I added .062x3/4" angle stiffiners around the cutout. No problems so far. Cutting out the subpanel to fit avionics is a fairly common thing.

Sam

I have a slider so not sure what the tip up differences may be but I have a fairly large cut out in my sub panel. I have pics somewhere but cannot get to them now from my iPad. If interested in seeing pics let me know and I will try to get some posted. My cut out is in the center of the sub panel. It is ~12" wide by 8" tall. Not sure of those exact measurements but close to that. I have had no issues with ~190 hours flying so far.

Cutting the sub panel is common, many builders add some re-enforcement around the hole and/or attach the trays to that structure as well. Also note if you get a 650 ordered this coming week, there is still a $750 rebate on them...but it expires on the 15th.

Cheers,
Stein

Sam,
Did you have to make a cutout for the whole of the back of the 650 or just the DB and BMC connectors? Any issue with the 643 channel support?
Mardy

The whole tray (tube) goes through the subpanel just barely if I remember.
A couple of things:

Make sure you have clearance for the forward 'bow' brace of the canopy. If the GTN is on top of the stack, don't get it too high or the brace will hit it when the canopy closes.

On the forward sides of the GTN tray there are holes for screws to support the end od the tray. The location of those holes is pretty much in-line with the subpanel. Be sure to make a provision for clearance if you plan to use those holes.

Sam

Here are pictures as per your request

I have a full Garmin stack, from the top, 340 Audio, 430 Nav/Comm, SL-40 radio and the 327 Transponder. This was during the install period and not all items are completed in these photos nor is this the final comb out.

b46rmf.jpg
[/IMG]

wo9ye.jpg

nzk77a.jpg

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT (Reserved) Near Inspection