Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
For those contemplating a GTN 650 or 750 purchase, here are Garmin?s database update prices as of March 29:

NavData (Americas or International): $180 single; $530 subscription*
Obstacle (US/Europe): $50 single; $195 subscription**
Terrain (Worldwide): $150 single
SafeTaxi (US): $50 single; $195 subscription**
FliteCharts (750 only) (US): $95 single; $395 subscription*
Basemap (Worldwide): $100 single

* 28-day cycle; 13 updates per year
** 56-day cycle; 7 updates per year

For interest, I asked Garmin Support about GTN 650 NavData ID and Retention. Here are the answers I received:

ID: ?GTN database updates purchased through fly.garmin.com are tied to the system ID of that particular GTN. Databases purchased for one GTN cannot be used in another GTN.?

Retention: ?The GTN 650 will continue to use the Jeppesen NavData that is loaded on the SD card - regardless of its cycle. However, regulations prohibit its use for IFR flight if the data is out-of-date. The GTN 650 will continue to use the NavData - regardless of the age of the database.? ( . . . Apparently, there is no time scale or time limit programmed into the 650?s software that would somehow disable the unit?s use of an out-of-date, but ID-valid, NavData card. I would assume that it?s the same situation for the 750.)

A Personal Observation: It seems to me that Garmin, and Garmin dealers, would sell a lot more GTN?s and associated NavData subscriptions if they would offer a 56-day cycle, half-price NavData subscription option for experimental installs only. The FAA updates terminal procedures, enroute charts, and airport/facility data on a 56-day cycle. See http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/faq/index.cfm?print=go#q2f.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Bill Palmer

Well something should be done.... After looking at the list of prices for the database updates, I think I've just written off even thinking about a 650 or 750. I would not regularly update the terrain, obstacle or basemap.... and maybe skip the safetaxi. But just the nav data and charts are $925/yr.

Garmin is not a GPS vendor, it is a data vendor.

Glad you posted. The Garmin website says the SD card includes databases (In the Box), so maybe the terrain, obstacle and basemap are included in the initial purchase..... but maybe not. Think I'll keep on looking for an IFR GPS. The Garmin DB costs are a big problem.

Yes, they would sell a lot more units if the database costs were more reasonable. Thanks for the info.

There is a gentleman on here who sells cards.

I've done business with him on several occasions and I don't know how he puts new info on the 430W cards but it probably is only a matter of time before some very talented IT guy/gal finds a way to do the same with this overpriced GTN info.

Best,

Card Swapping

So, to state the obvious, GTNs would no longer allow the, I think, fairly common practice of having one subscription for two GNS units and cycling the out of date card to the standby unit.

I don't do this but I understand you get a warning of some sort and cannot cross fill? If others do this has it worked well for you?

Considering what ForeFlight on my iPad now gives me I really don't need all the safe-taxi and geo-plates on the GTN so it's biggest draw is now the cool looking map view and touch screen. Oh, I get that on the iPad too.

I just played with a 750 on the ground and they're cool but the ongoing costs seem pretty steep. Of course that's for all-america. A regional data subscription for approaches should be less.

UPDATE: I just went to the Jepp site and compared navdata orders for two units between the GNS and GTN series. The difference for my subs of west-central US for two (with discount applied) is $70. Not much additional cost unless you are hot-swapping cards.

There's still the additional cost for charts and safe-taxi but you don't have to buy them - I think...