Bugsiegel

I posted this someplace else but I think it will get answered faster in here.
GPS Garmin 400
first question is to load an approach but not to immediately activate it just puts it at the end of all the other already loaded way points. To immediately activate it puts it up front and bypasses all other way points. If you agree, lets get to the real question.
So lets say I'm humping along with my Kap140 auto pilot in Nav mode, when and why do I need to enter Apr mode?
Now lets say I'm flying around in Nav mode. If I don't enter Apr mode but have an approach loaded behind a few way points, what will the auto pilot do after the last non-approach way point?
Thanks in advance?

Last edited:
Not an expert, but I put the autopilot into APR mode once I've activated the approach and I'm navigating to the IAF. As to what happens if you don't activate the approach I think (big grain of salt here) is it will sequence through the waypoints. The issue here the waypoint order. Lets say your flight plan looks like this: Departure Airport -- waypoint -- Destination Airport. Then you load the approach and it now looks like this: Departure Airport -- waypoint -- Destination Airport -- IAF -- IF -- FAF -- MAP. What will happen is the 430 and the autopilot will fly you all the way to you Destination Airport THEN turn you and fly back to the IAF and sequence from there through the rest of the approach waypoints.

You're on a G400 (Non-WAAS)

It looks like the only difference between NAV and APRCH mode on the KAP will be the lateral sensitivity.

For the 400 itself I think you need to activate the approach when cleared onto some segment of the approach so that it will sequence. If you only load the approach the navigation would stop at the last enroute fix.

If you activate the approach on the 400 and leave the KAP on NAV it should still drive to the same series of waypoints.