N62XS

Well Known Member
Trying to determine the advantages/disadvantages to purchasing either a Garmin 695 or a Garmin 795 or going an entirely different route. My thoughts are today that I buy one and a 39 and share them betweeen the 172 and the RV-6 via Gizmo docks

Asking for info/input on cost of updates ($400 on both per year?), brightness, usability, value, etc.

Any advice, input, opinion and direct experiences appreciated.

695/696/etc.

Robby, I have instructed in a number of planes with glass. Most are really sophisticated and quite good these days. They are bright and software works well. I fly with a 696 and 39 in my own RV presently. They are some of the best designed portables Garmin ever engineered. You can pay more and get more fingerprints on glass....if you wish. But you don't need to now.PM me if you need details on prices, wiring options and so forth. Best of luck.

I have the 796 with the separate GDL39 and it is really great. I wish I had panel GPS but my vintage Arrow just can't afford it. The quality of the displays and maps is great, and with the 39 the weather is always there in the air. The ADSB isn't so great because the downlink isn't there so it isn't really useful here. The updates are a little expensive but considering it is the cost of a few hours flight time and having a paper subscription would be bulky and cost money too in context it seems okay to me. I can't fly an IFR approach with it - wish I could. It is easily as reliable as most panel mount systems.

Last edited:
Ive had really good luck with my 796. Its my primary means of navigation. It is quite a value, easy to operate, big enough to see, no readability issues. I do occasionally have issues with the screen in direct sun where it does not recognize my touches. Other than that, its a great device.

I've had both

I had a 696 with XM for weather which I loved. When I first saw the 795/96, I thought I'd stick with the 696.

Then after spending more time playing with a 796 at Osh in 2014, I decided to upgrade. As much as I liked my 696, I like the 795 even more! The 795 mount is way better than the 696. The 696 required 3 wires to connect/dis-connect when removing it from the plane: power, audio an XM cable. With the 795, there is just one connector that is built in to the mount. Just push the release button and remove the unit.

The screen clarity is amazing, zooming in and out is much easier on the 795 compared to the 696, panning is easier and selecting items by touch is a lot easier than using the cursor.

When I went from the 696 to the 795, I dropped my XM subscription and installed a GDL 39R which I hard wired to the 795.

They are both great units but I think it's worth paying a little more to get the 795.

I am very happy with the 795 connected to the GDL39 via the bluetooth interface. This combination works great.

Bayne
RV7-A

Used both in different -7 builds. Get the 79X. It's home-button logic is much like the 6/7XX navigators which has proven far superior to the quirky 4/5XX units. Likewise, the 69X units are pretty screwy; you'll need to read the book to use them, the 79Xs are straightforward. Either screen is very legible, and touch on the 79Xs quicker than the joystick and is tolerable to old button guys because of the large screen and superior logic.

A bluetoothed 39 is a good combination.

Buying XM is your choice. ADS wx is good enough for me, latency isn't a problem. I installed a separate dock for a Sirius receiver for radio entertainment in the plane (or at home).

Updates on the portables is far cheaper than certified. I update the 795 several times a year during flying-places-season, and just do the pricy, but same, 650 nav data occasionally.

John Siebold

Last edited:
I almost cried when I sold my 796....just kidding but it is an awesome unit and I really did not want to get rid of it but I just did not need it anymore after the upgrade to the G3X Touch.

Trying to determine the advantages/disadvantages to purchasing either a Garmin 695 or a Garmin 795 or going an entirely different route. My thoughts are today that I buy one and a 39 and share them betweeen the 172 and the RV-6 via Gizmo docks

Asking for info/input on cost of updates ($400 on both per year?), brightness, usability, value, etc.

Any advice, input, opinion and direct experiences appreciated.

I have a GDU375 and the bundle is only $149!

I looked up the 696 & 796 and see the bundle is $299 :confused:

Seems to me the 696 & 796 (although is has touch) are the same (database wise) as my GDU375.

Wonder why the price difference???

I can say that I was not updating my 375 when the prices were high ans now that they are $149 I keep it updated.

When it gets hot the 796 screen can't tell your hot finger is on it. There is a calibration procedure for that and it fixed it forever on my system. I let it get warm in the summer, and then I turned the power button on while holding down the right and left bottom buttons. (I think). It has you do some steps and then it just works better.

796 definitely rocks. I've had both 696 and now have the 796. If you are buying new, just buy the 795 with the GDL39 and you will love it.

796 has Landscape mode

I have the 796 and GDL 39, great combination, one point that was important to me due its location was the fact that the 796 works in landscape mode (mounted picture in my blog).

When it gets hot the 796 screen can't tell your hot finger is on it. There is a calibration procedure for that and it fixed it forever on my system. I let it get warm in the summer, and then I turned the power button on while holding down the right and left bottom buttons. (I think). It has you do some steps and then it just works better.

I have the same issue in the summer, where did you find the calibration instructions?