ryanturner

I am thinking of installing a Garmin GNC420 into my existing non-RV airplane as I continue to build my RV. Has anyone installed a GNC420 or GPS400 and latter regretted not going for the full blown GNS430? I already have a NAV/COM with glideslope, so it seems like a good way to save almost a thousand dollars.

Ryan

If you're not going to fly IFR...

...then yes. If you plan on much IFR, the 430W is a great radio.

Best,

I don't think there's actually anything special about the Nav part of the 430; works the same as any other. What is handy is being able to monitor an ILS using the GPS side of the radio. Not sure if you can do this with the 420?

If you're not planning to fly IFR then I'm not sure it makes much sense to spend the money on either radio.

Almost every single person we've sold a 420 to (usually agains my recommendation) ends up later wishing they'd have just got the 430W. There are a number of reasons, but the main one is that there just isn't much difference in price...and when it comes to resale you'll lose more than you save on the difference. The difference is literally only hundreds of $$'s on a $7K box....

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I have a 400 and a 430W in two non-RV planes I fly. While the 400 is not WAAS, it is IFR capable. If you're debating between a 430W and a 400 I'd say go with the 430 so you can have vertical guidance on a GPS approach. If you're debating a 430 vs a 400 then I'd say they are the same if you already have two radios you're happy with. The only difference between the two is the radio as far as I can tell.

I am thinking of installing a Garmin GNC420 into my existing non-RV airplane as I continue to build my RV. Has anyone installed a GNC420 or GPS400 and latter regretted not going for the full blown GNS430? I already have a NAV/COM with glideslope, so it seems like a good way to save almost a thousand dollars.

Ryan

Almost every single person we've sold a 420 to (usually agains my recommendation) ends up later wishing they'd have just got the 430W.

Thanks. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Assuming I can figure out a way to pay for it, I am going to go with the 430W.

Ryan

That sort of...

Almost every single person we've sold a 420 to (usually agains my recommendation) ends up later wishing they'd have just got the 430W. There are a number of reasons, but the main one is that there just isn't much difference in price...and when it comes to resale you'll lose more than you save on the difference. The difference is literally only hundreds of $$'s on a $7K box....

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

...says that a 420W used would be a better value than a 430W used if you already have a nav/com....:)

Does the 430W have any internal "communication" from the GPS section to the VOR section?
...or are they essentially stand alone units?

I know that GPS info is communicated to the COM section...

If you looking to save some money, why not get a used 430 (non WAAS). Unless you fly a lot of hard IFR, do you really need WAAS? Sure it's nice to have vertical guidance on GPS approaches, but non-WAAS 430s are pretty cheap.

George

Yes...

If you looking to save some money, why not get a used 430 (non WAAS). Unless you fly a lot of hard IFR, do you really need WAAS? Sure it's nice to have vertical guidance on GPS approaches, but non-WAAS 430s are pretty cheap.

George

....I was wondering about that.
But if I start training for an IFR rating, all of the local pilots say that the 430W is the only way to go with modern technology.

I know you can do it on one Nav/Com/ILS, but does that make sense with current technology...:confused: