Radioflyer

Well Known Member
These days Its a little embarrassing that I'm working with this old stuff, but its what I have. I'm trying to use my 250XL at home in simulator mode, just to get a bit more facile with all the required knob/button switching. I connected a battery to pins 30 and 34 of J1. Unit turns on, does a good self test, but doesn't go into the "Operating Mode" page to select simulator. The unit seems to operate as if it were connected to ship's bus (pins 21/25 and 22/26).
Anyone knows what the problem is?

As a followup, after some careful fiddling without letting any smoke out, I was able to put the unit in simulator mode. Apparently, it will allow this mode only when powered up using the round DC power port on the back of the unit. The manuals only say that it won't go into simulator mode when on ship's supply, so I figured that the remote battery inputs (J1, pins 30,34) should work, but did not. I guess remote battery is still considered as ship's power. At any rate, a 2.5x5.5 DC Barrel connector fits in the port and a 12 VDC battery (or regulated DC source) will allow operation in simulator mode. I will now be able to play with the unit operation and configuration menus without having to sit in the plane running down its battery or burning fuel.