jcaplins

Well Known Member
So in the process of deciding what I want for comm and possibly nav for my never-ending RV7 project.

My latest consideration is the Garmin GNC-255A nav/comm; and I would like some feedback and have a question or two.

This unit has a built in two place intercom. Since I am only planning 1 radio, do I need a separate intercom or audio panel? I can't see the need, but I see other similar panels that do have an audio panel.

I have considered other comm only options, but kinda want the nav. Ultimately, my budget will decide.

What else is out there that I should consider? Sl-30/40's are still out there, but discontinued and not really supported for service.

for Comm only, i'm looking at the garmin GTR-200.

All advice welcome.

thanks,

Depending on the rest of your avionics, you may need an audio panel.

I'm using a single Xcom VHF which has a dedicated aux input in addition to an internal intercom.

A quick look shows the GNC-255 may not have an aux input, so any aural warnings from your EFIS, TCAS or EMS will need to go somewhere. It's here the audio panel will be required.

In my -9A, I'm using SkyView for these functions, so the single aux input is sufficient for now.

If you have extra inputs from EFIS, etc., you don't need a full blown audio panel. You need a mixer circuit. Or at most, an intercom with 'always on' inputs.

It looks like the GNC-255 does have an aux input. So if the EFIS were to talk to me (GRT sport), then it seems it would go through there.

my panel will be fairly simple:
EFIS: grt sport
comm(/nav): ?
transponder: ?
EIS-4000

I won't have TCAS, and I don't think there is anything from the EIS-4000 that would need this input.

So far it's looking like I don't need either an audio panel or external intercom.

Anyone have this radio and care to comment about it?

I would still encourage you to go ahead and get an independent intercom. The "internal intercom" (I guess we can technically call it that) to the GNC is 'serviceable', but certainly not to the level of normal stand alone intercoms.... the GTR-200/20 on the other hand has a superb internal intercom - but between those two radios they aren't nearly of the same caliber/quality/usability.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I would still encourage you to go ahead and get an independent intercom. The "internal intercom" (I guess we can technically call it that) to the GNC is 'serviceable', but certainly not to the level of normal stand alone intercoms.... the GTR-200/20 on the other hand has a superb internal intercom - but between those two radios they aren't nearly of the same caliber/quality/usability.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

So are you saying that although the GTR has a great intercom that it isn't as good a radio as the GNC?

So are you saying that although the GTR has a great intercom that it isn't as good a radio as the GNC?

What I'm saying the radio portion of both radios is fantastic, but the "intercom" in the 225 isn't of the same level as the real intercom in the 20/200 and the intercoms aren't of the same level between the two. COMM portion is excellent in both.

Sorry for any confusion!

Cheers,
Stein

Just curious why, these days, you'd need a VHF nav. It appears as if you're planning for VFR operations, and the Sport has a gps and good software.

A tablet would provide a second gps map if you needed additional options.

Dave

Not to dissuade you from what everyone says is a good radio (GNC) but why do you say the SL series isn't supported? They are just now out of production, and as far as I know Garmin will keep supporting them for a long time.

Not to dissuade you from what everyone says is a good radio (GNC) but why do you say the SL series isn't supported? They are just now out of production, and as far as I know Garmin will keep supporting them for a long time.

I have an SL30, and I worry. The Garmin SB announcing the discontinuation cited "difficulty in obtaining certain no longer manufactered parts". So a failure may or may not be fixable.

For the very reason Bob stated.

Just curious why, these days, you'd need a VHF nav. It appears as if you're planning for VFR operations, and the Sport has a gps and good software.

A tablet would provide a second gps map if you needed additional options.

Dave

Well.... I don't want a VFR only plane, but I can't afford the IFR panel that I do want (even a basic IFR gps panel).
With all the great VFR GPS systems available (sport, tablets, portables,...) I won't be lacking positional awareness. Having a nav wouldn't be too much of a wallet killer and it may scratch that itch to shoot an approach every now and then. The nav is not required and my second choice right now is the GTR-200 comm only (in reality, it is probably my 1st choice).