Sig600

Well Known Member
Anyone have a good idea on HOW to mount the GMU 44 on the aft deck of an RV-7? Garmin list's a part number for the actual ring to rivet in and mount the magnetometer in, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere or a price.

Anyone have a clue, or have a better way to secure it?

Your favorite dealer should be able to order you the pre-made GMU 44 mounting bracket that fits the RV-7/9 - the part number is 011-01796-00. Or, you could make your own from a piece of .040" alclad using figures C-1 and C-2 in the G3X install manual as a guide.

good luck,
mcb

My GMU-44 came with the mounting ring in the box, along with non-ferrous screws and the Canon plug and pins to build the end of the harness that mates with the GMU. I simple built a square adpater plate out of .040 as Matt suggested to adapt the ring to the size of the existing hole in the aft plate.

Paul

On my -7A, I did what Paul did and it works fine, inflight. Just make sure you have at least one square corner on your alclad piece so your reference marks will be accurate for the mounting ring. I think I used a 2 1/2" diameter hole saw to make the hole for the GMU-44. To mount the piece, I pop-riveted it in place.

Mike