NTex

Well Known Member
Need a sanity check for the mounting hardware on the magnetometer:

I fabricated a mounting plate for the aft deck in the tail (well 2 of them, the first one I made out of 0.025 instead of 0.040 :rolleyes:) and was getting ready to pop rivet it into place, but am concerned about potential magnetic interference.

The Garmin manual states that LP4-3 blind rivets are acceptable, but I can't help but notice the shank is steel (i.e. magnetic). Has anyone used these rivets for the mount?

I'm assuming that Garmin has already sorted this out so I don't want to overthink it, but I'm also not to keen on doing things twice - so if anyone has experience here I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Chris

Consider using screws instead, you may regret down the road permanently blocking access with a riveted on plate.

Consider using screws instead, you may regret down the road permanently blocking access with a riveted on plate.

Good idea - thanks Walt.

What's everybody using for screws and locknuts?

Isn't some stainless magnetic? The screws I have don't appear to be magnetic based on my screwdriver, but the garmin manual has some pretty insane requirements for the GMU (like aligning the bracket to less than 0.5? of the longitudinal axis of the aircraft).

If there's any "residual" magnetism in a SS bolt/nut I guess I'll go brass but they're harder to find in 100 degree sizes.

I used nylon nuts, bolts, and washers on the last one I did and will do the same on the next one.