jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Currently using a GNS430W connected to an Aera 550
Aera 550 uses its bare wire cable to cross feed the flight plan from 430W.

I am interested adding in the GDL39 antenna, but have some questions.
I spent 35 minutes on hold waiting for a Garmin rep to no avail....
Maybe someone here can help.

1. Does the GDL 39 come with one battery ? I ask this because they call the separate battery a 'backup battery'.

2. I want to connect the GDL39 to my Aera 550. It claims I will then be able to view BOTH ADS-B weather and traffic? Is this true? Remember the 550 did not originally come equipped with weather(Wx).

3. If I decide I do not want to use the GDL-39 for my Aera 550, can I use it for my Ipad -Garmin App, or do i have to order another GDL39 specifically for the ipad? I notice the GDL-39 antennas have different part#'s depending on which device you are ordering them for.

4. My GNS430W feeds my flightplan into my Aera 550. When I order the GDL39 I am assuming i must order the Bare Wire cable to connect them all together? Will I still be able to keep the wire to transfer my flight plan? If I remember correctly the Aera only has one (1) serial input?

Can someone provide the pin-out I need to connect? I will be using the Aera 550 bare wire cable, and the GDL Bare wire cable, and the RS232 signal from my GNS430W (flightplan)

Currently using a GNS430W connected to an Aera 550
Aera 550 uses its bare wire cable to cross feed the flight plan from 430W.

I am interested adding in the GDL39 antenna, but have some questions.
I spent 35 minutes on hold waiting for a Garmin rep to no avail....
Maybe someone here can help.

1. Does the GDL 39 come with one battery ? I ask this because they call the separate battery a 'backup battery'.

2. I want to connect the GDL39 to my Aera 550. It claims I will then be able to view BOTH ADS-B weather and traffic? Is this true? Remember the 550 did not originally come equipped with weather(Wx).

3. If I decide I do not want to use the GDL-39 for my Aera 550, can I use it for my Ipad -Garmin App, or do i have to order another GDL39 specifically for the ipad? I notice the GDL-39 antennas have different part#'s depending on which device you are ordering them for.

4. My GNS430W feeds my flightplan into my Aera 550. When I order the GDL39 I am assuming i must order the Bare Wire cable to connect them all together? Will I still be able to keep the wire to transfer my flight plan? If I remember correctly the Aera only has one (1) serial input?

Can someone provide the pin-out I need to connect? I will be using the Aera 550 bare wire cable, and the GDL Bare wire cable, and the RS232 signal from my GNS430W (flightplan)

Hi Jeff,

Here's what I know (which isn't much, but some).

1) There is only one battery, NOT included with the base price unless you got the OSH deal.
2) I believe the answer is yes.
3) GDL will simulatneously work with the wired device and still work wirelessly to your iPad or iPhone, etc.. No need for a 2nd GDL.
4) The GDL basically adds 2nd serial line capability to your device, and while I'm not 100% sure, I think you'll be fine.

Just my piddly 2 cents as usual! I have a GDL and really like it, I think you will to. It's really nice running on my iPad. If you call during business hours someone here can help you out in more detail.

Cheers,
Stein

http://garmin.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451bb7069e2017d3bfaa65c970c-popup

I am thinking this is how i need to connect it?
The diagram appears to be a Aera 500 Bare wire harness connecting to a GDL39 Bare wire harness.
Not quite sure which wire I use to connect to my GNS430W flightplan-Out wire. is it ' RxB' ?

Yes, you disconnect the wires from your Aera that used to feed your serial devices and connect them to the GDL. Then connect the second serial port wires from the GDL back to where the wires that feed your serial devices. Very simple and works great. I had issues at first but Garmin was great help coming up with a software upgrade to fix it.

Per the instructions you have to change the serial port configuration on the Aera to Garmin Data instead of Nmea. If you don't configure correctly or wire backwards you simply won't be able to view the new traffic pages on your Aera until you get it right.

I didn't realize you could crossfeed a 430W with a portable. I read that it you could only do it with another 430W or 530W. Learn something everyday.

http://garmin.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451bb7069e2017d3bfaa65c970c-popup

I am thinking this is how i need to connect it?
The diagram appears to be a Aera 500 Bare wire harness connecting to a GDL39 Bare wire harness.
Not quite sure which wire I use to connect to my GNS430W flightplan-Out wire. is it ' RxB' ?

Hello Jeff,

Mark and Stein are right. The diagram you found comes from page 169 of the latest Aera 5XX manual. Starting on page 168 it explains the pass-through serial port function. If you connect the output of the 430W to the white/orange RxB wire and configure the pass through serial for Aviation In, you should be good.

All of the GDL 39s are the same, they just get packaged with different cables depending on what you wish to use them with.

It doesn't matter that you have an Aera 550 that didn't have XM weather. It will still work to display traffic and weather from the GDL39.

Shoot us an email at [email protected] if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL 39 not connecting question

Hello,

I hooked up my GDL39 today and am not getting anything on my single screen/map only GDU375.

GDL 39 had a green LED showing power
Remote mounted ant on bottom of aircraft
Using green wire on pin 47 and green/what on 48 which is channel confrig 1
Testing in a hangar without the fore not getting GPS signal.

G3X communications config page:

Before:
RS-232 1 - TIS-A In/NMEA+VHF OUT
RS-232 2 - NONE
Green ck. RS-232 3 - GTX TIS-A IN

After:
X RS-232 1 - GARMIN TRANSFER
X RS-232 2 - GARMIN TRANSFER
Green ck RS-232 3 - GTX TIS-A IN

Thanks!

Hello,

I hooked up my GDL39 today and am not getting anything on my single screen/map only GDU375.

GDL 39 had a green LED showing power
Remote mounted ant on bottom of aircraft
Using green wire on pin 47 and green/white on 48 which is channel confrig 1
Testing in a hangar without the fore not getting GPS signal.

G3X communications config page:

Before:
RS-232 1 - TIS-A In/NMEA+VHF OUT
RS-232 2 - NONE
Green ck. RS-232 3 - GTX TIS-A IN

After:
X RS-232 1 - GARMIN TRANSFER
X RS-232 2 - GARMIN TRANSFER
Green ck RS-232 3 - GTX TIS-A IN

Thanks!

Hello John,

It sounds like you connected the correct wires for using RS-232 channel 1.

Let's check a few more things.
1. I don't think you have anything connected to channel 2, so please set it's configuration to NONE.
2. Make sure you have at least GDU software version 7.00.

You should get a green check mark next to channel 1 when the GDU starts communicating with the GDL39.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I have 7.10 installed on the G3X. Can I use an iPad to troubleshoot? I don't plan to use the iPad, but thinking maybe the Bluetooth could help somehow???

Steve, I have 7.10 installed on the G3X. Can I use an iPad to troubleshoot? I don't plan to use the iPad, but thinking maybe the Bluetooth could help somehow???

John,

I don't think the iPad has any skills that can help us here. You didn't say if the GDL39 is communicating over BT to the iPad, but if it is, at least we know the GDL39 is working fine.

Please re-check your connection. It will just work when the connection and configuration is right.

You could move it to serial port 2 and try that, but it shouldn't be necessary.

It is pretty hard to do otherwise, but is your black ground wire on the GDL39 cable sharing a common ground to the GDU375?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I'll check and see if a BT indicates tomorrow, just to see if I get any signal.

As for the ground, today I grounded the GDL39 to a common grounding block, but the GDU375 is grounded in the "avionics" harness and not the me block.

You know how it goes...checking and double checking, but maybe the WHT/GRN & GRN are swapped in 47 & 48. I'll check that too.

One last question: it was hard to see and not labeled, but it there 51 pins in the connector? I counted from the first pin "35" and installed in 47&48.

Thanks,

Steve, I'll check and see if a BT indicates tomorrow, just to see if I get any signal.

As for the ground, today I grounded the GDL39 to a common grounding block, but the GDU375 is grounded in the "avionics" harness and not the me block.

You know how it goes...checking and double checking, but maybe the WHT/GRN & GRN are swapped in 47 & 48. I'll check that too.

One last question: it was hard to see and not labeled, but it there 51 pins in the connector? I counted from the first pin "35" and installed in 47&48.

Thanks,

John,

Page 9-1 of the G3X Installation Manual shows the pin arrangement on the 50 pin connector used on the GDU. Hope that clears everything up.

Thanks,
Steve

Arrrggggg!

I guess we just found my problem :( I must be using 46 & 47. I'll have to use the other pins as I have something in 48 already.

Thanks Steve!

I let you know how it goes.

ADSB works! .....But....

Steve,

All it took was a 5 minute pin swap to pins 14 & 30! And now I have ADSB Traffic & Wx :D

But, I am now experiencing "No GPS" & "GPS INTEGRITY" messages on my AFS4500 and on the GDU375 I get "Lost Satellite Signal".

On my GDU375 I clearly am receiving satellite signals:
01, 03,05,07,08,11 (dead on 13) 17,19,26,28

I have at least 3 in the center circle and 3 on the line of the first circle and the rest within the circle and guess on the horizon.

I do have 7.10 software loaded and before the GDL39 install I only experienced intermittent loss of GPS after the 7.00 update. The 7.10 seemed to fix that until today.

Any thoughts?

Steve,

All it took was a 5 minute pin swap to pins 14 & 30! And now I have ADSB Traffic & Wx :D

But, I am now experiencing "No GPS" & "GPS INTEGRITY" messages on my AFS4500 and on the GDU375 I get "Lost Satellite Signal".

I have at least 3 in the center circle and 3 on the line of the first circle and the rest within the circle and guess on the horizon.

I do have 7.10 software loaded and before the GDL39 install I only experienced intermittent loss of GPS after the 7.00 update. The 7.10 seemed to fix that until today.

Any thoughts?

Hello John,

Glad to hear you got your GDL39 communicating with the GDU375.

Just to be clear, there was never a problem with the GDU375 internal GPS with V7.00. The issue affected the serial NMEA sentences which are transmitted to external devices which don't have a GPS.

As you know, the GDU375 has an internal WAAS GPS receiver and you must provide the antenna connection to the BNC on the back of the GDU375. About the only thing that can affect GPS performance is the antenna or antenna cabling.

I am sure you are reporting about conditions with the plane sitting in the clear outside the hangar. Not sure what kind of antenna you are using, but it would be great if you had a GA26C to use in place of your antenna so we could determine if the antenna or coax cable is the problem. The Receiver Status (e.g. 3D Differential) on the GPS Status page is the most important indication to report on.

Is your AFS unit relying on the GDU375 for GPS data? If so, you will need to make sure that the serial port it is connected to is configured for NMEA Out, but we need to get your GDU375 GPS antenna issue resolved first.

If you prefer to send us an email (or call) and work through the issue that way, please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a GDL 39 communicating with a G796 All seems well as I receive weather products pretty well. However:

I get a 'TIS-B not connected' message in the tools - datalink menu for the TIS-B uplink signal. I have yet to receive an aircraft conflict warning even though I fly out of an air carrier airport. Is this right?

Also, I do not get distant Metars. I get them in a big radius, say 400 nm or so, but I am not getting them for CONUS. On the other hand, I only flew for about a half hour today, so maybe it takes a while to upload CONUS Metars...

Does the above sound normal?

Jim,

This was my first flight today with it and I too only went up for 30 min.

But, I did see traffic and I did get one traffic alert in my headset!

I also received graphic weather, just the northeast maybe an area about 400NM in diameter.

I tried getting METARs and TAFs and received both for home base and I tried HXD which was 650 miles away and only METARs were available.

I tried another airport in VA and since it too came up I figured everything was working.

My only issue now seems to be the GPS signal, but, who knows, that may be self induced.

I can't wait to fly a longer trip with the GDL39! Very cool unit.

I get a 'TIS-B not connected' message in the tools - datalink menu for the TIS-B uplink signal. I have yet to receive an aircraft conflict warning even though I fly out of an air carrier airport. Is this right?

In a word, yes. Simply put, if your airplane is not ADS-B Out equipped and you are not flying close to another ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, the FAA's system will not provide you with TIS-B traffic coverage. For a more exhaustive introduction to ADS-B traffic, section 4.3 (pages 126 and onward) of the current manual for your area 796 is a good reference.

Also, I do not get distant Metars. I get them in a big radius, say 400 nm or so, but I am not getting them for CONUS. On the other hand, I only flew for about a half hour today, so maybe it takes a while to upload CONUS Metars...

Does the above sound normal?

Yes, this is also normal for FIS-B data (aka ADS-B weather). Unlike with XM weather, you tend to get more of a localized picture for many of the available weather products. Depending on what ground stations you are receiving, it's typical to only get METAR and TAF data in a "bubble" a few hundred miles in radius around your aircraft.

- Matt

I ordered the GDL39 with the bare wire cable last Friday.
I will attempt to connect it all together this week.
I Will post how things go for me. Should be pretty easy.

In another post a user said he had an audible traffic alert in his headphones.
Will my Aera 550 supply an audible alert too? It does have audibles for terrain and 500ft I believe?

thanks.

Hello Jeff,

Mark and Stein are right. The diagram you found comes from page 169 of the latest Aera 5XX manual. Starting on page 168 it explains the pass-through serial port function. If you connect the output of the 430W to the white/orange RxB wire and configure the pass through serial for Aviation In, you should be good.

All of the GDL 39s are the same, they just get packaged with different cables depending on what you wish to use them with.

It doesn't matter that you have an Aera 550 that didn't have XM weather. It will still work to display traffic and weather from the GDL39.

Shoot us an email at [email protected] if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

I ordered the GDL39 with the bare wire cable last Friday.
I will attempt to connect it all together this week.
I Will post how things go for me. Should be pretty easy.

In another post a user said he had an audible traffic alert in his headphones.
Will my Aera 550 supply an audible alert too? It does have audibles for terrain and 500ft I believe?

thanks.

Hello Jeff,

Yes, the Aera 5XX generates audible traffic alerts. It is a great traffic display.

TargetTrend.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Any thoughts?

John,

My GDL 2nd serial output seems to work fine with my AFS4500. If you're sure it's wired correctly it may be as simple as changing the EFIS input or configuration settings to get it to display. Too many possible combinations for that so I'd suggest downloading the latest AFS manual or contacting their customer support. I know I had to play with the EFIS settings originally to get mine to work fine with the GPS prior to first flight a couple years ago.

Thanks Mark.

I'll look into that - wow! A lot of options to choose from there :confused:

Steve also told me to look at the GPS antenna's as he said if the 2 are too close it may interfere.

I just placed the remote GDL39 antenna right next to my GA57x. They are almost touching, so maybe that's what is causing it.

GPS issue resolved! and the GDL39 works great!

Took a flight down the coast today and here is some ADSb info from my GDL39:

GPS dropping issue ended up being caused by mounting the little GDL remote antenna to close to my Main GPS NAV antenna.

I ended up mounting the GDL39 behind my panel and installed a antenna on the bottom of the airplane and the remote GPS antenna, which now I keep a foot away from the main antenna - a BIG Thanks to Steve the Garmin Expert! He figured out the PIN mix up and the antenna oscillations when placed too close.

METARS work Great!
20120925_123119_zps3563a05a.jpg

TFR's ??? yes, they show up, but not like Foreflight! you have to read them on the screen.
20120925_121128_zps0b549d02.jpg

20120925_111951_zpsc2c7406a.jpg

The DC SFRA show up too, but the 60 mile speed zone, again, not as good as fore flight and you need to read it. The inner zone shows up highlighted but...not as good as FF!
20120925_120229_zps5900a505.jpg

I like this page, I get RADAR, WINDS, AIRMETS, etc.... more then I got from XM without having to upgrade the XM to the next level.
20120925_112329_zpsd74c84fc.jpg

Just a look at the stations I was picking up.
20120925_112009_zpsaa23d77f.jpg

Overall, from NYC to KFFA I receive uninterrupted WX and the traffic was good too with only a short loss over Delaware near Dover for about 50 miles or so.

Very Happy with the GDL39 :D

update...

update: Im Still installing mine.
I got the Aera 550 bare wire harness and the GDL39 bare wire harness connected together. I updated the firmware in my Aera 550 last night.
I installed my Airgizmo panel mount for the 550. Just need to connect the Flight plan RS232 data out wire from my G430W to the RxB-in wire on the GDL harness and I think Im done.

Today I will tidy up the wires and give it a try: hopefully I can get in the air weather permitting.

So far I like the Aera 550. It has many of the features and menu look of the higher priced garmin products.
I never had weather in the plane, so i am excited to try the ADS-B In.

Question

I have an Aera 510 with the serial TX hooked up to an SL-30 and Dynon. Does the GDL-39 hook up to the Serial RX and will it work with this combination?

Aera 510/GDL39 Connections

I have an Aera 510 with the serial TX hooked up to an SL-30 and Dynon. Does the GDL-39 hook up to the Serial RX and will it work with this combination?

Hello Paul,

Good to hear from you again. :)

Yes, the Aera 510 and GDL39 will support this. There is a really clear wiring diagram on page 169 of the newest Aera 5XX Pilot Guide that shows how the two bare wire cables connect. You will connect the SL30 and Dynon units to the orange wire on the GDL39 bare wire cable.

You should also ground the white/orange wire on the GDL39 bare wire cable since you are not using it (as instructed by the manual).

Make sure you have loaded the new V4.10 software for your Aera 5XX if you haven't already. Configure the pass through serial port (Tools, Setup, Interface) for Garmin Data Transfer on the Serial Data Format and Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out on the GDL39 Pass-Through Serial Format.

Everything should work great.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks

Steve,
I just figured no news was good news!!! All is working as advertised!!! It's a blast. I really like the new runway extensions and numbers too!!!

Thanks again!

got it working

Got it up and running. It took a few minutes to update some software with the antenna connected.

It was getting late, but it seemed to work on the ground. I was able to get radar on the map, and current weather at aiports. I got up in the air for one trip in the pattern. It said traffic was working normally, but it didnt give me any targets.
Looks like my flight plan from the 430w was being transferred ok too.

Now all I need to do is connect my SL30 to the Aera for frequency transfer.
Need to look up the pin/wire to connect.

I just bought a Garmin GDL39. I have a panel Garmin 530W and Garmin GTX330. Can I connect the Garmin GDL39 to the Garmin 530W so that I can display ADS-B weather on the Garmin 530W?

I have read this thread about the Aera and 430W, but my situation is slightly different. In the future, I intend to upgrade the GTX330 to ES, in order to get ADS-B traffic.

I just bought a Garmin GDL39. I have a panel Garmin 530W and Garmin GTX330. Can I connect the Garmin GDL39 to the Garmin 530W so that I can display ADS-B weather on the Garmin 530W?

I have read this thread about the Aera and 430W, but my situation is slightly different. In the future, I intend to upgrade the GTX330 to ES, in order to get ADS-B traffic.

Hello,

The GDL 39 works with the Garmin Aera 5XX, Aera 7XX, GPSMAP 69X, G3X experimental EFIS, and various tablets and mobile devices running Garmin Pilot, but does not currently interface to the GNS or GTN units including the 530W.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a GDL 39 and wondering if it will interface with a G3X?

It sure will...Garmin has also recently announced a true remote mount version of the GDL39 called the GDL39R. You can use the existing model in a remote mount application as well. That is what I did with mine.

The GDL39 has been working flawlessly with my new panel. While I have a GTN650 driving the GTX23ES, the G3X can also provide enough of the correct data to the GTX23ES to wake up the ADS-B ground stations and they will provide you TIS-B traffic data. Steve has mentioned in other post here that the next version of the G3X firmware will enable the G3X/GTN23ES combo to be authenticated as a full VFR client to the ground stations. For now it seems that the feds are allowing this type of client to exist within their system. We all hope it stays that way right up to 2020 and maybe even beyond???

Will the GLD 39 work with a 430 if hardwired to a serial port?

Vic
For our purposes the 430 only understands the old original TIS-A for traffic so no joy using it to display traffic from the GDL39. Almost certain it won't display the weather either.

Pretty sure this is on purpose to stop the certified crowd from attempting to use experimental gear with their certified avionics.

Last edited:
Will the GLD 39 work with a 430 if hardwired to a serial port?

Hello Vic,

The GDL 39/39R are units only used with non-certified products (G3X, portable GPS, and tablets). The GDL 88 is the ADS-B In (and Out) unit that works with a GNS 430W.

- Matt